Sunday, October 23, 2011

Angkor Wat Here I Come!!!!

Well, technically Siem Reap here I come. That's the town closest to the site of Angkor and the other Wats. A mere four hours by road from Phnom Penh. Anh and I got settled in, and the driver's mate put a dvd on for everybody's pleasure. Well not everybody's of course as I couldn't understand a word of it. It appeared to be some kind of variety show that mixed X Factor with comedy sketches, and a bit where exiled Vietnamese people can video messages for their loved ones in the Mother country (a bit like the old Two Way Family Favourites on Radio 2 when I was a kid).

I praised the lord for my iPod and put on a playlist of Gorillaz and assorted other Damon Albarn side-projects. It was sufficient to last the entire journey. By this stage I was used to the differing quality of the roadside stops and learned to hop off first instead of being polite if I wanted to get a loo with paper and a dry floor. As we drove further and further into Cambodia it was difficult to tell what was road, field, river or lake. The CNN floods were real it seemed.

By the time we got to Siem Reap it resembled Venice! I guess they're used to it cos nobody seemed phased at all by the water levels that were rising as we drove closer and closer. The hotel was on higher ground, so we were able to disembark and stay dry. After dumping our bags we were back on the bus to go for dinner.

Again I sat with my London pals and was steered through the variety of food on offer. It seems to follow a set pattern - rice, soup, a fish dish, beef, pork, chicken, veggies - but every time the style of cooking the assorted dishes is different.

The rain continued to pour as we ate and didn't let up back at the hotel. Shame cos there's a cracking night market here apparently, but I didn't much fancy getting soaked for the sake of a bit of tourist tat. Anyway I had a big day ahead of me so after a shower, I hit the sack.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home