Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ooooh What A Wet Wat!


Soooo it was an early night and even earlier morning as the day had finally arrived for me to get to see another one of my Top Ten Wonders of the World, Angkor Wat.

After a bit of breakfast I checked outside the hotel. My god! The water level had risen by about 6" on last night, and it was still raining. The tour guide suggested we wait for an hour before heading out because it was so wet, so we all buggered off back to our rooms to get another layer of waterproof clothes on. Mine consisted solely of an old UKPlay cagoule I got given when I did the Reading Festival about 15 years ago! It was perfect actually.

Finally we set off. The whole of Siem Reap was submerged, there was no difference between the river and the river bank anymore. The minibus made it through and we got to the site. We were given a bit of history lesson en route. I for one didn't know that it was initially a site of Hindu worship, and didn't become a Theravada Buddhist one till the 13th Century.

It was brought to the attention of the west in the mid-19th Century by a French explorer who was astounded at the size of the place and the fact that it was only used for worship, there were no signs that people had ever lived here.

Restoration was begun around this time but when the Khmer Rouge took control in the 1970's all work stopped. A number of statues were stolen or destroyed but the majority of Angkor Wat was just left to rot during this horrific period of Cambodia's history.

On arrival we all had to get our photos taken for our one day pass, then finally we got to see it! I was excited and apprehensive as we walked into the site, a bit like I was when I went to the Taj Mahal earlier this year. Would this exceed all my expectations in the same way?

In a word. Yes. From my first glimpse to my final one, I was overawed, amazed, astounded, and just majorly blown away but the place! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

We had about an hour to look around the Angkor site, then we went back into town for some lunch. The rain was still pouring so everyone took the chance to dry off and change clothes. I decided my Nike Rift's were failing the job miserably so I hopped into a tuk tuk and went to the market where I did something I'm not proud of (but I had no other choice Your Honour). I bought a pair of mock Crocs.

Finally I saw what their purpose was - they are the perfect flood shoe. I got a pair for about $5 and they totally served their purpose when we headed back over to the site for a sunset view of the Bayon Temple. Just when you think it can't be any more beautiful you turn a corner and there's another breathtaking sight in front of you.

As the sun went down we had to leave, but one thing is certain, I will be back here to spend more time soaking up all this wonder. Hopefully in the dry season!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home