Monday, March 07, 2016

Whasssss 'Appenin? Part One

Well then, it's been almost three weeks since I blogged. That has gone fast.

I've been getting about. I've been gigging! Get me!

First off I went to Cambodia for a week of gigging and ligging. It all began beautifully with an easy flight from Chiang Mai to Phnom Penh via Bangkok. It appears you can't even go to the loo without going via Bangkok over here. 

Anyway the flight was only 30 minutes delayed which is good going for Air Asia, and I was met by the magnificent Mr Dee, tuk tuk driver extraordinaire, and Daniel-Ryan Spaulding my co-star for the week. 

Luckily we weren't gigging that night so once we'd checked in at our fabulous hotel, the House Boutique Hotel, we had time to freshen up, and have a leisurely dinner with one of our hosts and bookers, the lovely Dan Riley. 


 Fabulous framed album sleeve
He took us off in Mr Dee's mean machine for a Cambodian feast, and it truly was. Of course I've forgotten the names of all the dishes but there wasn't a damn thing that wasn't amazing. We were joined for the meal by my old comedy chum Tony Morewood who is living a life of leisure in Phnom Penh these days, as well as dipping his toe back into the murky waters of stand-up.

It was a night of many beers for the lads, water for me, memories and reminiscences, as well as finding out the lay of the land from both Dan and Tony. We also got to meet our MC/tour manager for the week, Sam Thomas, a young American comedian with a great future ahead of him I believe.

The day's events caught up with me and I bailed around midnight, falling into my very comfy bed.

Early up the next morning as we had a four (plus) hour bus ride to Sihanoukville for the first show. Our vehicle - provided by another of the tour's sponsors Giant Ibis - was pretty cool and as comfy as any vehicle can be that you're sat in for a prolonged period of time. Of course every time I thought of the name I also thought of the Ibis hotel chain, but I can assure you these buses were way better.

We arrived at the beachside town of Sihanoukville around 3.30 and found the gig. This was made easier by Sam having been there before. There was a huge big poster outside but inside nobody seemed to be expecting us. Eventually we found someone who knew we were coming and they guided us towards the hotel. The hotel weren't expecting us either, I was sensing a theme developing. It says something about the experience when I say I can't recall the name of the hotel, I've stayed in worse for sure but it was the least lovely of the tour.

We went over to the gig early and met yet another "cook" *. Considering how many organisers this gig had it was possibly in my top 10 of disorganised gigs ever.

We found one guy who ironically was completely new to it all, and thus the most amenable. We set up a gig, there was even an audience and I got my first shock. Not only is smoking almost compulsory in Cambodia, and at £1 a pack I can see why, it's positively encouraged indoors! 

This was my first time ever doing a gig in a smoky room as a non-smoker, and now I totally get why my non-smoking friends used to complain back in the day. I had to shower when I got back to the hotel, the smell on my clothes and hair was just vile.

The gig, while certainly not vile, could've been better from all sides to be honest. The room was unsuitable, the audience mostly dragged in not knowing what to expect - and given that it seems to be perfectly ok to smoke dope openly - not caring much either. I was a bit freaked out by the whole experience but still managed to get some laughs thanks to the unstoned people in the room.

After breakfast the next morning I was happy to say goodbye to Sihanoukville. Perhaps under different circumstances it's a pleasurable place to visit, but it's not on my list of places to return to.


* As in too many of them spoil the frikken gig

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home