Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Faaaaaaaaaabulous!

So I'm back from the first lesson, and totally blown away by my first tai chi experience.

The class was small and apart from Sophie the teacher I was the youngest person there, that in itself is a boost. My classmates were all very experienced, so I got a bit of extra help. Watching them go through their paces - forms - was fantastic, and I can't wait till I'm able to do it with them.

I was taught how to get the correct posture, amazing just how bad mine was! I learned the easiest forms and even had a go at 'push hands'. I didn't really know much about tai chi before I went, and I still know very little, but it seems like a really slow version of Kung Fu, the push hands thing is about blocking and leading your opponent rather than allowing them to lead you.

I doubt it'd be that useful if I got mugged, but it seems to be about learning control, of yourself and how to control others, so while it wouldn't stop a knife wielding maniac, perhaps it'll make me more aware of other people's body language and help me to avoid ever being in such a situation.

To think if I hadn't had a touch of insomnia the other week in Leeds, I'd never have seen Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves on the telly, and would never have experienced what I did tonight...aint telly grand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home