Friday, May 12, 2006

This weekend....

Did a gig in Chelmsford last night and had a fab time. Met another female comic, Aussie Kim Hope, who was great and a really cool chick. It's such a rarity, that I hung around to watch her and we travelled back to London together.

Tonight and tomorrow I'm in Chiswick, at Headliners Comedy Club. According to the website, Rich Hall is on...I do hope so! I'm a massive fan of Rich's and its been ages since I saw him do stand-up as himself.

I remember years ago when I was doing my telly show Funny Business, I had to interview Rich and was pretty nervous about it. He was a huge big star and the day of filming was the first time I'd met him.

I'd been having grief with the director of the show, an 'artistic' type who spent up to five hours lighting the wall behind me. He knew sod all about comedy - there's a shock - he used to edit the punchlines out of video clips to make them fit!

Anyway he was being his usual 'creative' self and driving me, the crew and eventually Rich insane. Rich made a comment that was sooooooo dry and cutting that the director didn't even realise he was being ridiculed, but the rest of us got it and it lightened the mood totally.

Another Rich story is that the character of Mo in The Simpsons is based on him. He used to do the Letterman show loads and loads and was friends with all of the writers. When they left to start The Simpsons, they asked Rich if he wanted to do the voice of one of the characters, as it was based on him. Not fancying being a cartoon voice, Rich turned it down, so they got someone to impersonate Rich!

Ever since I heard that story I can't watch The Simpsons without thinking of Mr Hall. I'm glad he turned it down. If he'd taken the gig, he'd be loaded and living full time in the US and we'd all be deprived the joy of watching this incredible comedian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home