Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Well here I am, back from my sojourn in the Midlands. What a great weekend of gigs it was!

The Glee Club in Birmingham lived up to it's reputation as probably the best club in the country and the bill was pretty good too! Apart from me and Andre Vincent, there was also scary Canadian Jason Rouse and lovable Manc John Warburton.

It's been aaaaaaaages since I worked with Andre and I have to say I was blown away by him. He's not only quick witted, but his topical material was excellent! This might have something to do with him writing and appearing on Marcus Brigstocke's weekly BBC4 show, or with him becoming the face of Playstation on the internet, not sure which. On Friday me and Andre met up with Alasdair who runs The Glee for a spot of lunch and shopping in the Mailbox. Andre bought me a fabulously girly make-up bag - bless him. Al bought himself a purple velvet dinner jacket, from Harvey Nicks. He's probably the only man in the world who can carry such a garment off with aplomb!

Jason managed to collect a gaggle of Canadians including a hypnotist called Tony Lee, who's over here on tour at the moment, from the description of his show I suspect even I would be shocked! Not for the feint-hearted I suspect.

Friday night's show was made even more special when my old mate Pete Williams and his wife turned up. I ironed Pete's trousers 27 years ago when he was the bass player in Dexys Midnight Runners. We lost touch for years until he rang me out of the blue last summer. It was fabulous to see him, tho a tad disconcerting that he doesn't look the full 27 years older!

On Sunday I trained it over to Nottingham to do two gigs for Darryl. I opened at his club Just The Tonic, and it was great fun and beautifully set up by Russell Howard who's come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. From there it was a swift cab to Nottingham Trent Uni to perform for the students.

I've only recently started doing student gigs again, after a 6 year absence. I stopped because I felt i was too old to talk to these sweet young creatures, now I am sooooooo old its ok again!

As great as all my gigs were this weekend, I have to say this Uni gig was the highlight. It wasn't a massive crowd, about 40 people, but my god they were the most generous, appreciative, and intelligent audience I've performed for in a looooooooong time! Thanks folks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home