Monday, September 18, 2006

Exclusive!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is possibly the only photo in existence of Puppetry of the Penis with their clothes on.



That's Dan on the left and Martin on the right, backstage at The Pavillion Theatre, Bournemouth.

What a weekend!

It was Portsmouth Jongleurs on Friday and Saturday nights where I was working with my good mate Colin Cole. The weather was incredibly warm and it was a bit like being on holiday down on Gunwharf Keys.

Having said that, I didn't see a whole lot of Saturday as I slept most of the day...my curtains at home don't really block the light, so when I go away I catch up on the week's missed zzzzz's.

On Sunday I had a whole day to kill cos I didn't have to be in Bournemouth till the evening. The Holiday Inn very kindly gave me a late check out and then I went for lunch at the Quays. It really was wonderful, reading the papers, sitting in the sun, people watching, and having my first decent meal of the weekend!

Got the train up the coast and the lovely Stewart who tour manages PotP collected me from the station and took me to the theatre.

It's a proper seaside theatre, massive, high ceilings, great acoustics, and totally sold out! One thousand people.

I got changed and painted my face in front of one of those proper "showbiz' dressing room mirrors with the light bulbs round it. I felt like Joan Crawford or someone!

The gig was brilliant fun, tho the orchestra pit and the lighting meant it was difficult to see anyone at all in the audience. If it hadn't been for the waves of laughter I'd have thought I was talking to myself!

It sounds dead pretentious I know, and I am also aware that what I do isn't exactly highbrow art, but god it's incredible performing in a big theatre! Everything just works, and now that I am a bit longer in the tooth, the size doesn't phase me. I love the space both literally and metaphorically, you get in a theatre. You can take your time, tell your story and just by virtue of the building they are in, the audience goes with you. Oh! What bliss!

Thirty minutes later, my time was up and I was back to reality, jumping into a taxi so that I could catch a train back to London.

Such is the life of a showbiz gypsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home