Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Just The Kick Up The Ass I Needed!

Soooo last night for the first time in a year I made my way back to BarCode in Soho to do a gig at Comedy Camp. The last time I did it I'd just got back from Hong Kong, and I had a really bad dose of Hong Kong pooey. The last thing I felt like doing was a gig but I didn't wanna let Simon, whose club it is, down at very short notice.

I was jet lagged and not in a great headspace when he dropped the news that a "critic" was gonna be coming along to review me. I knew that there was no way in a billion years he was gonna write anything good, so I was pissed off long before the gig even began.

Needless to say, I was right. He slagged me off like I've never been slagged off in my life! Oh well, chalk it up to Karmic payback. I once slagged off Kajagoogoo in Smash Hits, so we're all fair and square.

At that point I'd lost a fair amount of weight and some of my old material was in no way relevant, but I was suffering from some kinda writer's block and a bit pre-occupied with events offstage in my life, so I wasn't confident in what I was delivering either. And to put it frankly, I was bored with the gags!

Anyway I sulked and avoided doing the gig for a full 12 months, until last night, when I returned armed with a brand new 20 minute set to go with my brand new titties and face! Guess what folks? It killed!!!!!! I had a fantastic gig and was dead proud of myself for doing the new stuff, some of which had only surfaced as one liners at the Comedy Cafe last weekend!

To add the icing on an already fabulous comedy cake, before the show started I was sitting backstage with Chris Neill, who was excellent by the way, when the guy off the door came and said there was someone asking for me at the door. I was expecting my pal Steve but it wasn't him, it was my old mate Ross Noble!!!! I cannot even remember the last time I saw Ross, but I have a horrible feeling it was like six years ago in Melbourne! He'd just flown in from Oz and was out and about to stave off the inevitable jet lag, and he chose my gig to keep him awake! No pressure then eh?

I've known Ross for billions of years and even with his huge success he's still the same cool, kind guy he always was. Sometimes the right people get success!

Today I had a little dose of culture - after having a spray tan for a special outing this weekend - I had an invite to a private view of Cy Twombly's retrospective at the Tate Modern. What a treat it was too!!!! I have to be honest, some of the early stuff didn't really 'do it' for me, but the later works like the four part Quattro Stagioni and the sheer beauty of Hero and Leander just blew me away. Check it out people!

Across the way was the Street and Studio: Urban History of Photography show, which if you like yer photographs, is pretty essential viewing. There's some fascinating photos from the late 19th century, stuff by Weegee and Mapplethorpe, Cecil Beaton, all of the greats and some great unknowns. This pair of shows will enliven the dullest of British 'summer' afternoons, trust me.

Tomorrow I am off up to Leeds for a one off gig at Jongleurs and as usual with that club I am very excited to be doing it. See you there!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home