Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Have Yourself a Merry Yada Yada Yada

Sooooo here I am! Christmas 2009 couldn’t be more different to last year.
Last week I was lucky enough to have an entire week of shows at The Glee Club in Birmingham. With recent events in the world of comedy these were the only proper Xmas shows I had, and believe me, they were the best!

I was working with Sean Collins, Adam Bloom and Andy Robinson and every single show - all nine of them in five days - was pure joy. The audiences were awesome, the staff, as always, were delightful, and the city itself was simply wonderful.

On Saturday we hooked up with the comedians who were appearing at Jongleurs and the tales of the shows couldn’t have been more different! It was a great, fun lunch tho.

Apart from the dip in earnings, I have to say that I haven’t missed the other shows at all! In previous years, by the time Christmas actually arrives I’m fed up of tinsel, turkey, and the entire human race! This year I’m feeling really festive!

I’m writing this in my luxury room at the InterContinental in Berlin. It’s my first time in the city and so far I love it. My usual Xmas date had made other plans so two weeks ago I got online and found this trip. Fab flights with Lufthansa from my favourite airport, Heathrow, and five nights in this 5* hotel!

I was actually born in Germany, in a place called Zwiebruken, but this is my first time back in the country since I was five. I vaguely recall traditional Christmases, with snow and choirs and real candles on the trees, and so far I’ve had the snow, the tradition and the choir, no blazing trees yet tho!

I guess most people think I’m odd, mad or brave going away alone at this time of year. I didn’t have to, there were places I could go, but sometimes the loneliest place is in a crowd ya know? This way I get to eat what I want - no turkey, yay! - when I want and where I want. The hotel has a Michelin starred restaurant so my Xmas dinner should be special.

Given the dire travel situation across Europe, I was extremely fortunate too, my flight was only delayed by about 40 minutes, and there are worse places than Heathrow to hang out.
The hotel has an excellent pool, sauna and gym, which I’ve already sampled, fabulous. I can sleep as much or as little as I want, go shopping, sightseeing, or take a stroll through the Tiergarten in the snow.

I went to an awesome Christmas market this evening and had a delicious meal of bratwurst followed by a pancake with cherries, cinnamon and almonds! Mmmmmmm! Might have to go back there! Needless to say I burned it all off at the gym when I got back.

I even had time for a little browse around Galleries Lafayette, which totally threw me. I ended up saying “merci” to the shop assistant instead of “danke”!

Tomorrow will be spent with a bit of art and a few landmarks I reckon, followed by an evening tour of the city complete with gallons of gluwein!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home