Thursday, October 07, 2010

Kulcha Innit?

So far this week I've seen a movie, listened to some excellent poetry and watched a 'serious' play in the West End. Check me out!

On Monday I'd just about recovered from the gastric flu that caused me to cancel my gigs last weekend, and so I made my way back to yoga. It's been an eternity since I was last there, my CELTA course and surgery on my stomach and my hand over the summer meant that any kind of exercise was out of the question and so it was with some trepidation that I went into the class. My god! It really doesn't take long to get out of shape does it?

Ninety minutes later, I was a bit sweaty, quite achy, but feeling more vibrant than I have done in a long time. It's good to be back.

Yoga was followed by a trip to the cinema. I'd decided to ignore the critics and go and see Eat, Pray, Love for myself. After all, this is going to be my story too I hope! I'd made my plans long before I was aware of the book, and when I read Liz Gilbert's account of her year travelling and 'reconnecting' with the world a part of me was pissed off because I realised my plans to write about my experiences were a little less original now! Loved the book though.

Now, while the makers of the movie have 'tinkered' with some of the facts, I have to say I loved the movie too. It made me very excited for my travels to come, especially if there's a Javier Bardem-alike waiting for me at the end of the rainbow!

That night saw me at Kensington Town Hall with my pal for the launch of Black History Month. The Royal Borough decided to launch it with an audience with Linton Kwesi Johnson. Back in the punk days I was a huge fan of his and had quite a few of his albums.

This time there were no musicians backing him, just this rather stately looking man in a fairly posh room reciting his poems and talking about his experiences. It was spell-binding. So much so that I paid a visit to iTunes the next morning and downloaded BassCulture and Forces of Victory. You should too.

Then last night saw me meeting up with my old pal Stephen K Amos who is enjoying a rare couple of days off (the man never stops working!). We went to the Novello Theatre to see Onassis. It starred Robert Lindsay, who was fabulous, though as this is still the preview stage his accent veered from Greek to Mancunian at times - sometimes within the one sentence! Jackie O had similar problems nailing the Boston accent too. Maria Callas was fantastic, but I was sad they didn't recall the tapeworm story. The staging was terrific and the ensemble did a cracking job. It's a trifle wordy, but then Aristotle Onassis led a helluva life, probably too much of a life to condense into a couple of hours. It was a great night at the theatre though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home