Monday, February 07, 2011

Jaipur Journal....Day One

Still overwhelmed by the vision of the Taj Mahal, I said goodbye to Khan and Ramesh and I headed off to Jaipur. We stopped off en route at a place called Fatehpur Sikri. The guide for this place was less inspiring but there was some interesting tales to be told about the Moghul Emperor who married three women - a Christian, a Muslim and a Hindu (which I know sounds like the start of a Bernard Manning joke but isn’t) and as a result founded his own belief system which was an amalgamation of the best bits of every existing religion.

The first half of the tour was the palace, which was lovely but coming after the Taj it kinda suffers by comparison. The second half was the temple he built. It was really inspiring as temples often are, but I was kind of annoyed by the guide taking me to his mate who spun me some line about how I needed to buy a flower, some string and a piece of cloth - all at an exorbitant price - which I could then lay on the altar and make three wishes. All three were guaranteed to come true both the salesman and the guide assured me, which kinda made me wonder why the guide was still wearing plastic shoes! Maybe he was allergic to leather eh?

I’d been warned about this “tradition” and so was able to just say “It’s not my belief” and even through both of them were pretty pissed off at the loss of profit, they couldn’t argue with me, thank god!

Once that was dealt with and I ignored the really big, really rude man at the door of the shrine who outright demanded money off me (I’d already paid Rs300 to get in) we scarpered back to the car. I made a little nest for myself and slept the rest of the way to Jaipur - all three hours of it!

Ramesh dropped me at the hotel he’d booked for me, up until now I’d chosen my own places but the one for Jaipur had screwed up the booking and when I emailed to confirm they claimed no knowledge of it, despite the copies of the emails I sent them! So it was the Hotel Glitz for me!

Well I have to say, it wasn’t the Glitziest place I’ve ever stayed but at £30 a night including breakfast, it was clean, safe and in a good location for my needs. After I’d had a chance to freshen up, Ramesh collected me and took me to see his friend the jeweller. Now I was told several times that there was no expectation to buy anything, but you know me and shiny things! I got him to stop off at the ATM on the way and stocked up on rupees.

There was an American lady in there buying up most of the stock, who I found fascinating. She’d been coming to India since the 60’s and it appeared she filled her jewellery box every time she visited!

While Ramesh’s friend was busy with her, I met my Jaipur guide Rajesh and the Jeweller’s assistant brough us cups of Ginger Chai and some of the spiciest Samosas I have ever eaten! My lips were on fire! Ram and Raj had a special kind of samosa called a Chilli Tempura which made the pair of them sweat and cry, it was hilarious to watch. Eventually the American lady took her leave and the four of us just kind of hung out for about an hour. Then of course I couldn’t resist asking to see one or two pieces. Long story short I bought a necklace made of green Chalcedony and a purple Star Ruby pendant. Both are semi-precious stones and both were made to order, and together they cost less than one night in my Delhi hotel! I so wish I’d brought my mum’s diamonds with me, he sure could’ve knocked me up something special with those!

Flushed with excitement at my purchases Ramesh dropped me back at the hotel where I managed to stay awake long enough to have a wash before collapsing into bed dreaming of jewels!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Fiona M Chapelle said...

It must be very difficult to see such a wonder as the Taj-mah-al, and then see something beautiful, but to be blinded somewhat to it. Then I guess there are those who would say the Taj-mah-al was ostentatious and and become pious objectors.

Good to do you research and know how to respectfully say no to hawkers, which I guess the 'Wish merchants' were. Cheeky guide. May he be forever happy in plastic shoes...*Bless*.

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home