Monday, March 28, 2011

Fuck Me! I'm 50!!!!!!!!!

So this morning I woke up and it would appear from the calendar that I am now 50 years old. How the fuck did that happen?

It seems like only yesterday I was celebrating my 18th in Rumours cocktail bar in Covent Garden, self-assured, vivacious brimming over with the arrogance of youth. How the hell did I get to be officially old?

Let’s face it, no matter what Madonna or any other woman older than me says, 50 is not middle aged. I am hardly like to live to be 100 (thank god!) so I am over the middle-aged hump so to speak and heading downhill fast towards pensions and zimmer frames.

So why is it that I spent yesterday DJ-ing in the Buddha Grove, spinning some seriously banging tunes from my MacBook with the help of the Virtual DJ app? As I was all ‘hands in the air’ to Tinie Tempah and the Swedish House Mafia, it did cross my mind that this is not something 50 year olds normally do.

I’m not quite sure what 50 year olds do do though, and that’s the problem I guess. I think back to when my mum was 50, she wasn’t in an ashram in India ‘finding herself’. She was working and running a home and policing my Dad to make sure he behaved himself as he approached 60!

Obviously any birthday is a time for reflection and as always there are two sides. I can allow myself to wallow in the ‘have nots’ - no partner, no kids, no career at the moment! - or I can celebrate the ‘haves’ - money in the bank so that I can afford to take time out from my previous career, healthier and fitter (even with Lupus) than at any other time in my life, surrounded by intelligent people in a beautiful location with the sun beating down on my tanned skin. Already today I’ve had birthday hugs and kisses from two very handsome young men, and it’s not even 11am.

Something tells me being 50 and beyond isn’t gonna be too bad after all!



This is me taken this morning, no make-up, self-done hair cut (can't you tell?) and no hair dye! Brave or what????

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ali Draper said...

You look fabulous JoJo.
Every birthday is a time for reflection; I've started my reflecting as I approach 55 (next Monday).
The best bit of advice I got when I turned 50 was that the older you get the less you have to apologise for. It was a liberating line, not something I think I've exploited yet, but I hold it in reserve - you never know.
Have a wonderful day. Look forward to seeing you in a month or so.
Many, many happy returns.
Happy Birthday XX

9:19 am  
Blogger Fiona M Chapelle said...

Well you look flocking fabulous dahlink, like a different person. Not that the former one is awf or anything, but you look fresh.

I hope you got more than two kisses i'm sure you did; well you did because *Smooch* you got one from me.

Happy flocking 50th Bish, now it is time to show them how it is done!With or without make-up as you please.

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home