Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Back To Delhi!

Yesterday morning saw me packing my case (again!) complete with lots of clean clothes, courtesy of The Glitz's reasonable laundry service, and saying goodbye to Jaipur. Ramesh and I hit the road for a five hour drive back to Delhi.

We drove the whole way on the Mumbai-Delhi motorway and anyone who thinks the M1 is shit should try driving on this one! It was like a bloomin' white knuckle ride! I managed to sleep for an hour but the constant horns and lurching as one vehicle after another cut in front of us or behind us or to the side. You need valium for these journeys!

I was back at The Metropolitan, and now I'd been upgraded to an esteemed guest which meant I got a really good room on the Club Floor. Not that I hung about to check it out, Ramesh had agreed to drop me at Janpath Market just by Connaught Place and armed with his directions and a map I set off exploring that part of the city alone. Not before I said a tearful goodbye to him though. He really made the tour fun, and his kindness won't be forgotten by me.

Apparently Connaught Place was modelled on Royal Crescent in Bath and I'd say that was fair looking at this photo...
The market was selling pretty much the same stuff I'd seen all over on my travels, but I did find a shop that sold both men's ties and ayurvedic massage oils, so I bought a bottle for my surgery scars. It was waaaaaaay cheaper than Bio Oil, and I suspect, just as good!

I went into the Indian version of Starbucks - I'm really surprised they've not invaded yet! - and had a latte, but I must say, on the whole India makes better tea than it does coffee, before carrying on my explorations.

I found this fab little bookshop with the most amazing window display...



I did a complete circuit - stopping for a late lunch halfway round - before wandering back to make the most of my 5* luxury.

For the first time in 10 days or so, my chest is clear and I'm no longer coughing up the contents of a nuclear plant, so after a lovely hot bath I fell into bed. Needless to say I slept like a log.

Today I fly to Pune where I have a bit of time in a hotel before heading off to the ashram, I am so excited!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Fiona M Chapelle said...

So much better than postcards.

I feel like I have been away for a while. I knew there was a reason why I couldn't get a chance to read yesterday. I needed it more today! What lovely blogs you write!

x

5:03 pm  
Blogger JoJo Smith said...

Thank you so much Fiona, I love reading your comments x

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home