Thursday, June 29, 2006

Eclectic tastes

A few years ago I stopped listening to new music on a regular basis cos when I did, I felt I'd heard it all before.

I held John Peel in great esteem for many many reasons, but primarily for his continued enthusiasm for new music, he musta heard tons more than me and still gave a shit.

Then a couple of years ago I met someone who re-opened my ears to what's going on out there. A lot of his tastes aren't mine, but I've discovered bands like Drive by Truckers thanks to him.

Last year I was tipped off about a certain "free" music download site which is the answer to all my prayers, cos I got sick and tired of buying CD's only to find that 8 of the 10 tracks on it are shit. With this site I can download just the songs I want and when I get bored with them I can delete em. The way I see it, I've bought enough records in my time, I'm due a few freebies!

So today I found myself listening to a playlist I'd made of stuff from this site, and I've come to the conclusion I am a musical schizophrenic. It went from Smack My Bitch Up by The Prodigy to Hold Me Close by David Essex to I Saw The Light by Todd Rungren! If I was knocked down and had no ID, they'd never be able to guess what kind of person I am from my iPod!

I kinda like it that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home