Monday, June 12, 2006

Gigging, Ligging and Jiggy Jigging

So this weekend I've been in the Midlands again.

Thursday to Saturday was spent at Nottingham Jongleurs, which can be a bit of a bugger of a gig. This weekend tho it was a dream. The sunshine and footy definitely played a part in the good mood of the audience. It also meant that on Thursday and Friday nights the numbers were down a bit, which made it easier to play.

There's a massive balcony at this club which is great for packing more people in and selling more beer, but a tad destructive when it comes to creating a comedy atmosphere...for the simple reason that the people at the back of the balcony can't really see the stage too well and so don't feel like a part of the show. This weekend there were only a few people in the balcony, so we all really bonded.

There were different acts on every night, which keeps it interesting for me. Thursday night saw Mike Gunn, JJ Whitehead, and Martin BigPig on the line up. This was sooooo cool. I love watching Mike, it's like he's read my thoughts. BigPig I haven't seen in years and years.

In fact, the last time we could remember working together was about 8 years ago at the Laughter Lounge in Dublin. He was firing a gun with his nipple, but I was the one who got banned!!!!!!

At the risk of sounding a bit luvvy and gushing, there's no-one on the circuit that I don't get on with, us comics are a pretty cool bunch, but there are a few guys who are just such brilliant human beings that being in their presence lights up your day. Mr BigPig is one of those guys...hope to see you again soon Martin.

Friday night we had the lovely Christian Reilly. I've known him since he was drafted in to play guitar with Otis Lee Crenshaw, and it's fantastic to see him making it as a comedian in his own right. The vibe on Friday night was really chilled, and all of us were having fun. I was rambling on about something before I brought Christian on, and the next thing I knew I was saying 'talking of c**ts, here's yer next act'. I cracked up laughing, I couldn't believe I'd said that out loud! Luckily for me, Christian knows me well enough, and by this point so did the audience. He was giggling as he came up to the stage and had a blinding gig.

On Saturday afternoon JJ and I watched the match together in the luxurious surroundings of the Holiday Inn Express bar, who says I don't lead a glamourous life!

Sunday night saw me at the Nightingale in Brum, it was still baking hot at 9pm so needless to say the audience was incredibly sparse. I've never sweat so much onstage in my life. It wasn't just the heat doing that tho, the antics of a very drunk straight couple in the second row were distracting to say the least.

They'd obviously decided that this was the ideal place to indulge in foreplay, so she was sitting there rubbing his cock while he was fingering her crotch! Bit difficult to concentrate on your act when you got that kinda show going on. The MC was Mrs Barbara Nice who is as mad as a box of frogs, and a joy to hang out with. Also on was Angie McEvoy who I've known for ages but never seen perform...she was brilliant! Check her out as soon as!

My glamour filled weekend was rounded off by me catching the coach back from Brum to Victoria...woooohoooooo this is the life!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home