Sunday, July 02, 2006

Broken Dreams

So, the inevitable happened. England crashed out of the world cup on penalties and a billion flags of St George disappeared within seconds.

The gig in Southampton last night was a subdued affair, the majority of the crowd were women - about 70% - and the guys that were there well almost all on stag nights and/or birthday celebrations. Looking at their faces you got the definite impression they'd rather be anywhere than in a comedy club. The joke hasn't been written that could've made these poor sods feel ok about what had happened.

I'd feared that it would be a drunken, angry mob if we lost, but instead there was just this air of disappointment, which is far harder to combat than rage to be honest.

The line up was really good, we had the maestro Tim Clark as MC, the awesome Phil Nichol opening, me secondm and Scottish legend Stu Who closing.

Phil was brilliant to watch, as always, inspite of telling me he was feeling a bit knackered from rehearsing his two (yes two) plays for Edinburgh and writing his solo show for the same event. He's appearing in True West, the Sam Sheppard play, and Eric Bogosian's Talk Radio, which if you've seen the movie you'll know is a role that Phil was born to play. There's a host of other comics in it too, including the divine Stephen K Amos and Tony Law. I'm planning a flying trip up to the festival and this is definitely on the top of my list of things to see.

The best thing about last night's gig, apart from working with Phil, was that I was offstage early enough to be able to catch the train home. Alongside the joy of waking in my own bed, this also meant that I could be cool. Why is it that all hotels these days have windows that only open an inch and inadequate air condiditoning? I was sweating like Ron Atkinson at the Carnival just putting my make-up on last night!

I guess its the inevitable Health and Safety regulations, but I don't know anyone who's ever jumped from a hotel window by accident, and to be honest, if you're going to a hotel to top yourself, not being able to jump out of a window is not gonna stop you.

I did find out the other week that's why when you put the Do Not Disturb sign on your door in a hotel they ignore it and either knock, come in or phone you to make sure you *really* don't want to be disturbed. It's cos they have to be sure you aint dead. How mad! Now when I check into a hotel I tell em I've not plans to leave this world and could they please leave me the hell alone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home