Monday, June 18, 2007

Lovely Weekend

It really was, spent in the company of great friends. Originally I'd kept the weekend free because I was planning to be recovering from some plastic surgery, but as I've yet to find the right surgeon to do the work it ended up being just a spare weekend.

Friday saw me checking out some of the new work by Jeff Koons at the Gagosian Gallery...which I loved but there wasn't enough of it!

Bit of a busman's holiday as I toddled off to the Comedy Store to meet up with Gina. Its not long now before she goes off to become a huge, big star in the States on Last Comic Standing (its already begun showing on Paramount), so making the most of her being around.

It's a while since I've seen her do a set, and she was absolutely amazing. Her confidence and the quality of her gags were just so inspiring! Not to mention how fabulous she's looking these days....skinny beeeyatch!

It was a cracking bill at the Store, the lovely John Fothergill once again doing an excellent job as MC, Michael McIntyre, and Phil Nichol. Been a while since I've seen the last two too.

Michael was shocked at the amount of weight both Gina and myself have lost, and exclaimed "Am I now the fattest act on the circuit?!?!?" it was so funny.

We went off and had a bit of Chinese food in between shows, both of us ordering way too much for our now diminished appetites..such a good feeling NOT to clean your plate!

On Saturday I ended up being a 'spare' for Jongleurs. In theory its a money for old rope thing, in that you are on call in case an act is unable to perform at one of the venues. I've done it a couple of times in the past and once I ended up working the other time I just hung out at the Camden venue until I got the all clear about 10pm.

This time I was convinced I was gonna get a call at 9am saying 'get yer ass to Glasgow', and kinda spent the whole day on edge in case I had to dash off at the last minute, like some kind of comedy cavalry. Luckily nothing of the sort happened so at 8pm I was in the dressing room at Camden chatting to Jason Rouse,Tim Clark, Dave Williams, Simon Evans and Zeron Gibson who were all on the bill.

It's a very strange feeling, cos you're aware that a call could come at any moment, so you're kinda hyped up to do a gig, yet at the same time you're not really a part of the night...very odd.

At 10.15 I was told I could stand down, and it was so bizarre, I was more knackered from the release of tension than I woulda been if I'd done a gig!

Sunday was spent with the divine Stephen K Amos. I haven't seen him since the day of my operation four and a half months ago cos he's been in Australia and New Zealand wowing the crowds...he was pretty astounded with my transformation to say the least!



We sat at a little restaurant on the South Bank, had some delicious food and caught up on each other's lives. Things are really taking off for him, he's got a tour coming up in the Autumn, and of course another Edinburgh Festival. It's sooooo brilliant to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Talking of comedy chums, check out these fantastic little movies that my pals Ricky Grover and Keith Dover have made on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1An99nXhak

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home