Monday, July 07, 2008

Lucha Libre!!!!!!!!

Soooooo last night I rounded off my fabulous weekend by going to the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm to see Lucha Libre London.

Lucha Libre literally means Free Fight, but you might know it as Mexican masked wrestling. It's totally cartoon, pretty much fake as f**k, and pure pantomime. It was brilliant!

Me and me mate had ringside seats which were perfect and the audience were one of the most mixed bunch of people I've seen under one roof ever! There were tattooed rockabilly kids, very middle class Dads and their kids, loads of loved-up trendy couples and even Robert Elms - who probably invented this, as he seems to have invented everything else including Sade and 'Hard Times'!

The characters were fantastic, the first bout was between two tag teams of "minis' aka little people. It was hilarious, then we got the taller ones for bouts that seemed slightly less choreographed, and the whole night culminated with two teams of three flinging each other all over the ring and the auditorium!!!!!! My favourite one was Cassandro - the tranny wrestler!!!!!! Her signature move is to kiss her opponents into submission and it worked cos her team won!

Fueled by a couple of frozen margaritas, me and my mate got right into it, it was a very cathartic night out, a great chance to let off steam. Perfect.

The weekend's gigs were really good fun, I was on with a fantastic line-up including for the first time sharing the stage with the wonderful Sarah Millican. She's doing her first full length Edinburgh show this summer, and based on what I saw her do this weekend it's definitely one of my ones to watch! The other two turns were the daft Steve Best and even dafter Dave Johns both of whom lit up the stage. A cracking time was had by all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home