Monday, June 28, 2010

Top Of The World Ma!

So here I am in sunny, sunny, fabulous Barcelona baby!



What with the World Cup affecting almost every sphere of entertainment, I decided that a few days in one of my favourite cities was in order. Thanks to Expedia, I got a great little deal on the flight and hotel, and now here I am.

The experience started off well when I checked into my "design" hotel and was informed that as they were almost full I was getting upgraded to a 10th floor room for nowt. The guy on reception said that had I been a smoker I'd have been sleeping in the broom closet! I knew this non-smoking thing was a good idea!

This is my fourth time in Barcelona, and its starting to feeling familiar. I not longer need to run around ticking off all the sights, cos I've seen and done them before. The only thing I hadn't seen before was the beach!

I made up for that yesterday, as I walked down the Ramblas with its Camden Market-style market. It seems that you must have dreadlocks to get a stall down here, and carried on down to Barcelonetta beach.

Being a Sunday, it was rammed with locals and tourists, but how brilliant to have a beach at the end of your road! Barcelona is what London could be if we shifted and took over Brighton!

The walk also opened my eyes to the amazing architecture of the city - not just the delicious Gaudi buildings popping up where you least expect to find them - but the old, grand, majestic stuff down by the docks.


I spent hours indulging in one of my favourite hobbies - people watching - and sipping cafe con leche whilst topping up my tan in a dress that is far to short for a woman of my age! I walked loads too, stopping for coffee breaks when the old knees complained, and saw some wonderful sights including this fish which I was convinced was a Frank Gehry, but if it was they were keeping it a secret*



Later, whilst England were busy being rubbish against Germany, I hit MareMagnum shopping mall where I made use of my Desigual discount card and got a fab little pair of denim shorts. I also hit the other Spanish shops I love so much - Bershka & Mango - where I got stuff cheaper than London.

Taking a slow stroll back to the hotel I stumbled on the Palau Guell, a Gaudi building, which was sadly closed for renovation. His stuff just makes me smile. I love it!


Finally, I took advantage of the amazing views from the hotel roof and caught the sunset...


* I guess they just don't need to brag about it, but it IS a Frank Gehry!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home