Thursday, October 28, 2010

Borneo, Baby!!!!!!

Soooo after my lovely gigs at The Glee Club, it was a mad dash back to London. I managed to squeeze in a final sunbed (I know they're not healthy but they don't half fade scars! Plus I'd paid for a course and this was the last one), then it was back to the flat to edit down my clothes for the trip. So far I'd already removed about half of what I thought I 'might' need! Another four t-shirts came out and that was me down to 20kg! Cool.

Time for a quick shower and then it was on with my trusty Maharishi combats. These were the trousers that were gonna prevent any kind of Cheryl Cole-style 'malaria'. They were also the heaviest item of clothing, which is why I'm travelling in them.

Freak that I am, I left the house about 5pm to get to Heathrow. I probably could've walked there and still been in time for check in, but I have a fear of being on the last minute, I hate rushing! So I sauntered to Paddington, got the train, and was at the airport by 6.30. Luckily the check in was open and I got my first treat of the trip. I'd requested an aisle seat online, yet for some reason they'd all gone. The nice lady at Malaysia Airlines gave me the aisle on the Emergency exit row with no prompting at all! Usually they charge extra for that seat! It was also good news for whoever was gonna be sitting next to me cos I planned to Nytol it up and sleep the whole way, with the extra room they'd be able to get up for a wee at some point in the 12 hour flight!

A bit of a first for me, I bought nothing but a coffee in the departure lounge! I usually always find something I 'need' be it perfume, or a pair of sunglasses or a handbag. This time I didn't even look. All I ask myself these days is 'can I use it on the ashram?'. The answer is inevitably, 'no'.

I found myself next to a honeymoon couple on the plane. Bless them, they'd only been married for 48 hours, and were so loved up! Hope they're having fun! The entire flight more or less passed by in an over-the-counter-sleeping-aid haze with the occasional wake up for dinner and a loo-break. I did keep my eyes open long enough to write a blog about The Glee Club, but that was it. All the magazines and books stayed in my rucksack. God bless Nytol.

I landed at KLIA at 5.30pm on Monday afternoon (Kuala Lumpur time), then I had to make my way to the domestic airport for my flight to Borneo. Now I could've been a pussy and spent on a taxi, but in the spirit of the adventurer I hope to become I found the bus that the locals use, and boarded that. I spent 50p instead of a tenner! Go me!

I'd already checked in online so I just had to drop my bag off, then it was more time-killing as I had a couple of hours before my flight. I found the Starbucks and again, being adventurous, skilled the cafe latte in favour of a green tea latte. As I watched him scoop this nuclear green powder into a cup of hot milk I began to regret my decision! Still they had free wi-fi and I could check emails and post my blog while I sipped at it. Funnily enough, it tasted about as good as it looks!


Luckily my flight was called before I could finish it - result! - and a mere two and a half hours later I was touching down at Kota Kinabalu International Airport (I know!). It was now gone midnight, officially Tuesday, and I was officially a bit fooked! I'd pre-booked a limo from the hotel and boy was I glad I had, cos it was a bit late to be haggling for cab fares!

My lovely driver was waiting with a cool bottle of mineral water and an even cooler towel, both much needed as the humidity hit me like a hot wet towel as I left the airport. Forty-five minutes later I was pulling into the hotel and it sure lives upto its publicity. Very glamourous! As knackered as I was I managed to unpack before collapsing into bed at 2.30am.

Needless to say I missed breakfast the next morning, but I did wake up to this view!

I didn't miss the hotel's own Orangutans getting their afternoon feed at 2pm either. I was Deet'ed up to the eyeballs and covered from head to foot cos of the mozzies, and it was worth it! There's four graduates from Sepilok living in the hotel's Sanctuary, all between three and four years old and all totally adorable! One was a proper little showman swinging right over our heads, and making a grab for one woman's red carrier bag! I wish I thought of that!


If it wasn't for the bugs and hunger I could've stayed there all day watching them, sadly once the smaller Leaf monkeys turned up the Orang utans scarpered! It was almost as if they were frightened of these tiny creatures!

I spent the remainder of the afternoon swimming and chilling by the pool. I'm loving this heat!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Fiona M Chapelle said...

It really is all worth it when you wake up to that isn't it? A view, and bonding with the wildlife!

3:49 pm  
Blogger JoJo Smith said...

Most definitely! This whole trip has been soooooo worth it!

2:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home