Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Its Grim Up North

Writing this far too early as I'm about to head off for five days.

First stop is a couple of days in Preston to see my dad and check on the inheritance. My mum died last October having had lung cancer for 16 months, and after 51 years of marriage, my dad's finding it a bit quiet on his own, so I go up there at least once a month just to hang out with him.

From Preston I'm heading over to Liverpool to do a couple of gigs at the fabulous Rawhide comedy club at The Royal Court Theatre. This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite gigs in the country. I love playing theatres, and the scouse audiences are always great. I also get the chance to work again with Chris Cairns who I met at New Year when we did gigs in Abu Dhabi and Dubai together. He's a top turn, great laugh and an all round good bloke, so it'll be a joy.

On Sunday I head down to Birmingham to do a gig at The Nightingale. Its a gay gig and a really mad night. The bill is fantastic. Apart from me, there's the marvellous diva that is Jason Wood and the very, very bitchy Jonathon Mayor. What with me only being a cock away from being a gay man, this promises to be one of their campest bills yet!

As per usual this morning I clicked on the Chortle website, www.chortle.co.uk, to check up on what's happening in the world of comedy and was incredibly saddened to see that the amazingly talented comedienne Linda Smith has died. When I first started doing stand up there weren't that many women doing comedy - there still aren't - and Linda was one of the big guns. I remember seeing her at the Bearcat and being blown away by her. After the gig she was so supportive and encouraging towards me. Years later, we did a couple of radio things together, and she continued to inspire me immensely. We've lost another good 'un...rest in peace Linda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home