Monday, March 06, 2006

The Ways of the Minge

Whoohooo!!!!!!! I'm home! At last!!!!!!!!

I've been away for what feels like forever, tho in reality it was only 6 days. The trip began last Wednesday with a two-day visit to my Dad to make sure he's ok and check on the inheritance....both are fine *grin*.

From Preston I headed over to Liverpool to do a couple of gigs at The Rawhide comedy club. Until recently, I only did this gig once every six years, but since last summer I've done it three times and loved it each time! Its come a long way from the foyer of the Everyman Theatre to it's current home in The Royal Court Theatre. The bill was great this weekend, we had local boy Chris Cairns MC'ing, my old mate Steve Jameson doing his character Sol Bernstein, and Dave 'Druggy Eyes' Johns.

I hadn't seen Dave and Steve for a long time, so there was lots of catching up over brunch on Saturday. Dave's become a Daddy for the first time and landed a sweet part in a new sitcom for BBC3, as you can imagine he's one very happy little geordie bunny!

Chris, I saw more recently when we did Abu Dhabi and Dubai together at New Year, he's relatively new to us Southern acts, but he's been tearing up gigs all over the north of the country for a couple of years now. Come on you London promoters, book this guy and give your audiences a treat!

Liverpool was great apart from the hotel. The gig pays for our accommodation, so I am really trying hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the Premier Travel Inn in Liverpool is the worst hotel in the country! It's clean enough and has the basics you'd expect, what is soooooooooo dreadful is the attitude of the staff! I'm sure having to interract with members of the public (ie us) isn't always fun, but for fucks' sake girls, learn to fake it!!!

A smoking room had been pre-booked with plenty of notice, for me, needless to say that didn't materialise. So if you book into a non-smoking room at that dump and can smell Marlboro Lights, blame them not me! Then, as I was going onto Birmingham on Sunday, I asked about a late check-out. I was willing to pay the extra, most hotels charge around a tenner. I needed the room for an extra two hours, and at the Premier Travel Inn, they charge you £25 for the luxury of sitting in a sparsely furnished room for 120 more minutes! Even the Marriot only charges £15!!!!!!! Obviously I didn't take them up on their offer. Oh and add to that, a leaflet pushed under my door (presumably by hotel staff) advertising the services of local hookers! By that point I was sooooo pissed off it didn't seem like a bad idea! Except they were only offering female ones.

On Sunday I caught a train over to Brum for my gig at the gay comedy night at The Nightingale. Having 4 hours to kill and not wanting to go on a shopping binge in Selfridges, I rang an old mate on the off-chance and spent the afternoon drinking coffee and chatting with him...it was cool.

Popped into The Glee for a cuppa before going to the 'Gale. They were setting up for a music night featuring someone called 'Joan As Policewoman'. I've never heard of her/them but aparently they are gonna be the next big thing, so who knows? I didn't have time to listen as I had to get over to the gig and start makng myself look presentable.

I was working with the fabulous Jason Wood and the marvellous Jonathan Mayor, add me to this mix and it was the ultimate battle of the queens!

The gig was such fun, but it is odd playing to an almost exclusively gay crowd. I was talking to this young girl on the front row and needed to find out her preferences (she didn't look like the usual Lentil Lesbian), so I came out with the line 'do you follow the ways of the minge?' Where the hell did that come from?????? Its like a lost chapter from Lord of the Rings! Gawd bless her, and the rest of the crowd, they took it in good humour!

I had a cracker and Jason tore the roof off the place, and of course Jonathan did his usual excellent job of getting the crowd in the right frame of mind, and to add the icing on the cake, I was getting a lift back to London with Jason. We never stopped nattering from the minute we got in the van.

All in all, another fabulous weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home