Friday, June 29, 2007

Frenzy!!!!!!!!!

Leaving White Cube yesterday I decided to have a wander round the shops of Old Bond St and beyond.

It's been years since I've been down here, and it was always a place were I felt terribly working class and common and like I didn't belong here. Of course now I am older, wiser, a lot fitter and like myself a whole lot more so I have to say I had none of those feelings this time.

And, of course, it was sale time! I found a gorgeous pair of shoes in the Camper sale, just perfect for onstage if the rain ever stops, and soooo girly and comfy at the same time. The really cool bit about the shoes is that they're a size five, and I am usually a size six. Seems in losing weight, I've lost a shoe size too!

Next stop was Tiffany. I had no intentions of buying anything but I did want to check out the Frank Gehry collection. Ever since I visited the Guggenheim in Bilbao I've been an avid fan of his work, so was intrigued to see what his jewellery looked like. Some of it was just ok, but then I spotted the Torque collection. The shapes reminded me totally of his buildings, and after drooling on the display case for a few minutes, this really cool sales assistant asked if I wanted to try anything. I was gazing at the rings and asked to try one of those on, if they had them big enough.

The back story here is that all of my jewellery in the past has either had to be made specially for me or enlarged. I have a few pieces from Tiffany from years ago and all of them cost me extra to be made bigger. I've never dared even try a ring on in there before, cos I knew they would never fit.

She brought out this gorgeous silver ring in a size 13 and as I put it on, it fell right off again. We kept going down in half sizes till finally the size 10 fitted my middle finger! I've never found a ring big enough to fit that finger before! As if the sheer joy of being 'normal' when it comes to jewellery purchases wasn't enough, it looked great on me too! Following a little chat about what a great architect Gehry is, I handed over the dosh for the ring. The way I see it, I'll never own one of his buildings, but at least I now have a piece of his jewellery!

I'd said in my last blog that seeing all those diamonds on the Skull had been like being hypnotised or drugged in some way, and it's definitely true, cos next thing I knew I was wandering round Harvey Nicholls! It's sale time there too and 40 minutes' later I was staggering down the road with a Burberry Prorsum handbag and a Smythson snakeskin travel wallet!!!!!! Both were incredible bargains, the bag way over half price and just totally timeless and gorgeous. The travel wallet in bright green will make my flights on easyJet feel glamourous.

In JoJo world, I didn't spend a fortune yesterday, I SAVED a fortune! I love being a girl! We have the coolest minds ever.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home