Sunday, June 24, 2007

Happy Anniversary To Me!!!!!!!!!

So, 14 years ago today I set foot on a stage for the first time as a performer. It was at a club called the VD Clinic opposite Pentonville Prison here in London.

As it was the Sunday of Glastonbury weekend, my material centred around the festival and the whole 'crusty' thing that was so popular at the time.

As debuts go I don't recall it being dreadful, but it wasn't a Hollywood-style 'Star Is Born' kinda way, but it was enough to make me keep going.

Fourteen years on, I've got Sunday night off, having just returned from an amazing weekend of gigs in Edinburgh. The bill lived up to previous expectations, last night especially we kinda started on a high and just kept getting higher and higher as the night went on.

The downsides of the weekend were the abominable weather, it peed down the whole time. The hotel which I'd been told was a million times better than the old one, but was in fact all style and no substance.Fabulous foyer and common parts, shitty dingy rooms.

My room reeked of stale piss and sweat, and I've returned home covered in tiny little red bites all over my body. Added to that, the Paramount Hotel Group have decided in their wisdom to make the entire hotel non-smoking. Not one single smoking room. Now I am all for a ban in public places, but for two days this was my home and I had to go out to the street every time I wanted a smoke. The irony of all of this is, if they'd allowed me to smoke in the room I wouldn't have been able to smell the piss and sweat, and probably woulda been able to smoke the bedbugs outta the joint!


Rainy old Edinburgh

Anyway, whinging aside, after 14 years telling jokes would I change anything...nope.

I have met some incredible people, been to some amazing places, and had tons of wonderful times. Here's to the next 14 years!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home