Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Brilliant Time

Got back from my blitz on Edinburgh late last night, and I can honestly say its the best time I've ever had up there!

Ok so the weather was a bit manky - mainly cold - but at least it was dry. Everything else about it was fantastic!

My bestest comedy chum Stephen K Amos had a room in his lovely flat all for me, and the flat was pretty close to the action so no queuing at 3am for a cab home. His show 'More of Me' was just amazing, the best I've ever seen from him. He's so comfortable onstage and just a joy to watch. There's lots of laughs, some serious bits, just brilliant!

I also saw this year's 'comedians can act too' play, Breaker Morant with a cast that includes Nick Wilty, Rhys Darby, Alastair Barrie, Adam Hills, Brendon Burns, Mike Hayley and the fantastic Alan Francis, plus some comics I don't know including Sammy J who's creating a bit of a buzz for his solo show and who was fab as the nervy lawyer.

I also saw the divine Jason Wood in a play called Unnatural Acts with Jessica Martin. It's his first acting role and he was wonderful.

I saw a show by a new (to me anyway) comic called Tom Allen who was very funny and entertaining. I also got to see one of my all-time fave comics Mickey Flannagan doing his first solo show. Having worked loads with Mickey I knew a lot of the material but believe me that didn't detract at all from my enjoyment! It was sheer bliss being able to spend an hour being entertained by him. He's f**king brilliant!

When the nominations were announced for the new Perrier awards yesterday, I was thrilled to see Mickey in the running for Best Newcomer...he deffo should win it!

I even got a bit of culture in the form of the National Gallery of Scotland's big show, the Andy Warhol retrospective. There were some amazing pieces, the skull paintings in particular, and stuff I'd not seen before including the room full of paintings for children, hung at child height. Brilliant.

I partied a bit and managed to see just about every comedian I've worked with ever, Phil Jupitus, Johnny Vegas, Alan Carr, Jimmy Carr, Sean Hughes, the Puppetry of the Penis guys, Marcus Brigstocke, everyone! By the time I got on the train back to Kings X yesterday evening I was exhausted! I was also extremely stoked full of compliments. Everyone I saw didn't recognise me, and everyone told me how fabulous I'm looking!

Best of all I came away with a desire to do a show of my own. This is the first time I've ever felt like that. I've even got an idea that just could work...here's hoping!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home