Thursday, September 13, 2007

Valencia

So the dust has settled from my holiday, washing's all done and my case is back in cupboard till the next trip.

On the domestic front, my furry little visitor seems to have scarpered, probably to a flat with more food in it!

The holiday was just what I needed, constant sunshine, a nice dry heat of 34 degrees every day, a city small enough to explore on foot, but not too claustrophobic.

I picked possibly the best hotel in the world ever for my needs, it was attached to a huge shopping mall with all the best Spanish shops - El Corte Ingles, Zara, Mango etc etc - yet only two minutes walk to the old town. The beach was a 25 minute bus ride away, but the bus stopped right outside the hotel. Perfect!

It's always a risk booking a hotel online, you never know how much of the blurb to believe, but this lived up to the hype. It was only 3 stars, and the rooms were pretty basic - it was kinda like yer average Holiday Inn - but the rooftop pool was fabulous. The breeze up there on the 12th floor meant I could stay in the sun far longer than I would normally, as a result I came home with a tan from only three days' of proper sunbathing.


A random bit of street art.

I got a little culture fix too, visiting IVAM, Valencia's modern art gallery. It didn't have the greatest collection in the world, but they had an exhibition by a two artists who go by the name of Equipo Cronica. I'd never heard of them before but absolutely loved their stuff. Their inspiration comes from a vast range of sources, old masters, Picasso, Warhol, and they put their own spin on it...a little bit Banksy in a way. They even have their own version of the Edward Hopper Nighthawks painting!

The seafront was just gorgeous, not overly developed, tho there was a little market selling the kinda crap you buy when you've had the sun on the back of your head for far too long, tie dye, bits of shells on leather thongs etc, and only a few bars and restaurants. I had lunch in one of them and it was just the most blissful experience. Munching on fresh calamari and salad, looking out at the golden sands of a half empty beach and actually being able to hear the sea washing up on the shore.

I visited the much lauded City of Arts and Sciences, which Valencians are hoping will do for their city what the Guggenheim did for Bilbao. The buildings are beautiful, its like one of those pictures you saw as a kid of how we'd all be living in the Space Age. There's an Oceanarium, a Science Museum and a Concert Hall, as well as lots of gorgeous spaces to just sit and take it all in.



The shopping was fabulous and this is the first time I've been away and really been able to buy whatever I liked from any shop. I didn't have to scour the place for the one fat birds' shop. Got a gorgeous leather jacket from Zara (cheaper than it would be here) and a brilliant pair of black patent DM's from Mango, and of course, a beautiful gold leather bag from El Corte Ingles.

All in all, a perfect way to recharge my batteries before winter kicks in.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home