Friday, January 25, 2008

The Color Purple

Or as we would spell it, The Colour Purple!



So there I was, wandering back to the hotel from my wonderful visit to MoMA last Thursday afternoon and I happened to look up and see that I was outside the Broadway Theatre, where The Color Purple was on. Huge letters informed me that Chaka Khan was in it as well as BeBe Winans, and that it was presented by Oprah Winfrey.

Thinking I had a snowball's chance in hell, I wandered up to the box office and asked if they had any spare single tickets for tonight's performance. Musta been fate, cos they had what is called Rush Tickets, which were front row seats, for $26.50! I looked at the price list on the wall and saw that other front tickets were upwards of $120 each, and damn near snatched the man's hand off in my haste to get one of these bargain tickets.

Three hours later I was back and taking my seat that was so up front I was practically on the stage! I was so excited, here I was about to see my first Broadway show, and it was something I really, really wanted to see!

As the lights went down I was beside myself with anticipation, and two and a half hours later when the lights went back up, I was exhausted! What an incredible show!!!!!!!

Chaka Khan plays Sofia and plays her brilliantly. Her voice is fabulous, waaaay better than the last time I saw her perform live at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the mid-80's. Every single cast member is amazing but Zonya Love who plays Celie just took my breath away. Her acting, her singing, her presence, just blew me away and moved me to tears several times!

It was one of the most awesome nights I have ever spent being entertained anywhere in the world, and when it comes to London, I'll be there to see it again. If you get a chance to go, do, cheap tickets or full price, its worth every penny!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home