Saturday, December 29, 2007

Festive Spirit

This is the first year I can remember for like aaaaaages, that I've felt really Christmassy. The week in Edinburgh definitely helped, cos the whole city was like a winter wonderland, but I fully expected that to be decimated when I got back to London the week before Christmas.

It wasn't tho, the week at the Comedy Cafe was fantastic and everybody seemed to be in really good spirits. There were none of those 'horror' gigs where the audience are soooo drunk performing is impossible either. All of that definitely added to my mood.

Last weekend was great fun, hanging out with pals, buying presents for people I care about cos I wanted to, not cos I had to.

Christmas Day was fabulous. I spent it with my best pal Steve and it was just the perfect, stress-free, chilled day. Good food, fantastic champagne and lots of love. This was our fourth Christmas together and cos both of our lives are so busy, its the one day of the year we really get to connect and just 'be' with each other. My mate Jason said 'we choose our own families' and its so true, I can't think of anyone I'd rather spend the day with.

As I think back to previous Christmases, they've never been that great, more of an ordeal to be gotten through. The worst ones were a few years back when I was at my lowest ebb ever, life seemed pointless, I was getting fat again, and just had no hope. Thanks to the Buddha and Mr Fiennes I feel like I have a future now, life is wonderful, and nowhere is this more obvious than at Christmas time.

Thursday and Friday were sales shopping days, starting with the West End on Thursday. I decided I would be practical and get some basics at a bargain price, so Selfridges was my first stop. I got some gorgeous towels and bed linen for a fraction of their usual price. I certainly couldn't have justified spending the original prices on them, even if they were badly needed! Needless to say the practicality didn't last long, I saw a gorgeous multi-coloured Missoni bathrobe that was half price, but still a bit more than I'd usually spend on such an item. I kept walking away and going back to it, then thought 'sod it' and picked it up. It's beautiful and I love it!

I needed a coffee and a fag after that, and after a brief respite at Starbucks, I headed up towards South Molton Street. I needed a new strap for an old watch that I want to start wearing again, and after I got that, I decided to have a wander down one of the most expensive designer streets in London. I walked past Browns, figuring that even in the sales I couldn't afford what they had on offer. I did check out their Labels for Less shop, but that had the feel of a jumble sale about it to be honest. I checked out a couple of shoe shops, but all the ones I loved were far too high for me.

On the way back up I decided to go into Browns after all. In the 29 years I've lived in London I've only been in there once before and that was to buy a pair of Norma Kamali boxer boots about 20 years ago. The reason I've never been other than that one time was cos I was usually too fat to fit into any of their clothes, and I figured I'd be as welcome as Gary Glitter at Disneyland!

That wasn't the case however, a very elegant lady offered to look after my Selfridges bags while I browsed, and complimented me on my Zagliani bag. It felt really good to not be an outsider. Sadly even if I had tons of money there wasn't anything I really liked in the main shop, but now I was emboldened, so I scooted across the road to Browns Focus. Blimey! Now here I coulda spent a bleeding fortune.

They tend to stock almost one-off pieces by designers both known and obscure. My eye was drawn immediately to a fuschia pink polo neck cashmere jumper. I took it off the rail and noticed there was only one sleeve. It's kinda like a straightjacket! There are however, little slits for your hands to come out so that you can function. It was seriously marked down and it was my size. Just as well really as it was the only one in the shop. It's a serious work of art in my eyes for the price of a regular cashmere jumper, and I feel like a million dollars in it.

The salesgirl asked if I was on their customer database, and I told her I'd never been skinny enough to buy anything from there before! Its really weird cos people don't know my past, they don't know that this time last year I was exactly double the size I am now. To them I'm just another customer, they have no idea what a massive buzz it is for me.

I was supposed to be working in Oxford on Friday night but the gig had been pulled, which meant that I got an unexpected night off. I celebrated it by heading to Knightsbridge - madness I know - the Harrods sale began at 9am and I knew the area would be mobbed both with tourists and bargain hunters, but I didn't care.

Harvey Nicks was my first port of call, and I checked out almost every floor - apart from the food departnent - looking for a bargain. As per usual it was found on the ground floor in the shape of a gorgeous Dolce & Gabbana black leather handbag. I'd seen a massive orange version in Edinburgh and almost bought it, but this one was smaller and more manageable, and more fabulous. It also had £400 knocked off the price which was a bonus! I've not been a fan of D&G really, I think I associate it with Victoria Beckham and the other WAGS, but this bag doesn't 'scream' like a lot of their stuff does, its classy and very practical. I found a lovely, snuggly black cashmere scarf and a pair of grey cashmere gloves that have huge sequins all over the cuffs too. They'll go perfectly with that black Gap coat I got on Monday with the bracelet length sleeves. I used my account card and got an extra 20% off, which meant the scarf and gloves were technically free! That's how JoJo-logic works.

I also picked up a pot of the Athena 7 Minute Lift face cream I'd been reading about. It wasn't in the sale but its supposedly a miracle cream. I haven't tried it yet, but will post a full report when I do.

I wandered down the road, weaving in and out of the multitude of shoppers, until I came to Russell & Bromley. I'd seen a pair of crocodile patent knee boots in Oxford Street on Thursday that I loved but they didn't have any in my size. I popped in to see if they had them here and they did. I tried on the size 5 and they fit perfectly. These are cut much narrower than the Clarks boots I bought a few months back, and my heart was in my mouth when I zipped em up my previously fat calves. I won't lie, it was tough going but I got em done up and there's no overspill at the top, so I handed over the cash. These too were half price, yayyyy!

I decided to give Harrods a go, and it was like the fall of Saigon in there, millions of people with a determined glint in their eyes. It didn't freak me out too much so I went for a wander round the ground floor. I spotted a Miu Miu belt that I absolutely fell in love with, but it looked minute, like it was made for a child. I asked the girl if there were any more, perhaps a bit bigger, but there wasn't. Again it was seriously reduced, and putting my fear of looking like a fat fucker to one side, I tried it on. Bugger me, it fit! And that was on the jeans that sit on my hips! How wonderful!

It was starting to get dark, and I was pretty shopped out, so a double tall latte later I was on my way home to play with my new toys.

God I love being thin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home