Friday, July 11, 2008

F**king Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope not gratuitous swearing by me, but the title of the most amazing art show I've seen in a looooooong time!

Those of you that are interested in art will recall the warehouse fire at MOMART a couple of years back. It destroyed, amongst many other things, Tracy Emin's tent "Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995". It also destroyed Jake and Dinos Chapman's "Hell", an installation depicting Nazi soldiers committing various horrific acts of depravity using tiny little models. I saw it at the Saatchi Gallery when it was in County Hall and remember feeling quite moved by it.

Anyway it was burned to buggery so the boys made a new one and called it Fucking Hell. I saw it yesterday at the White Cube in Mayfair and my god, it really blew me away. There are nine display cases each one filled with scenes of war and inhumanity, each one with the capacity to induce a feeling of nausea in the viewer at the atrocities within.

Blimey that sounded a bit pretentious didn't it? But it really did move me, and 24 hours later I am still thinking about it. We are all aware of what the Nazis did in WW2, we've seen Schindler's List, some of us have been to the Imperial War Museum and seen their displays, we've read books etc etc, but for me at least, it always seemed a bit 'remote'. Yes it was perhaps one of the blackest periods of humanity, but nothing I have seen or read about WW2 has really brought home to me just how relentless the horror was until I saw this yesterday. I think the show ends tomorrow, but if you can get along do, if not keep an eye out for future exhibitions.

In addition to that, they have a sister show called "If Hitler Had Been A Hippy How Happy Would We Be". The brothers anonymously bought 13 of Hitler's watercolours and then painted over them. It comes as no surprise that Hitler wasn't the most creative of artists, they're all quite mundane, but I love what they've done with them. There's rainbows and stars over the top and it looks like a child has gotten hold of them, it kinda gives a sense of hope from the darkest of sources.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home