Sunday, January 10, 2010

Movies, Movies, Movies!!!!!!!!!

I've been on a bit of a cinema kick this last week. So far I've seen Nowhere Boy, It's Complicated and Nine.

I go through real phases with movies, My movie partner has been absent of late so I'm missing out on the artier, more obscure stuff, but I have to say I've found something of merit in all the movies I've seen in the last few days.

Nowhere Boy was a really lovely surprise. I went more out of curiosity than anything, the off-screen antics of the director Sam Taylor-Wood who at 42 is now both engaged to and pregnant by the film's leading man/boy, 19-year-old Aaron Johnson. Its really none of my business but I do find it a bit icky!

However, the movie was really gentle, he was a fantastic John Lennon, and it was a very pleasant way to pass a couple of hours. The supporting cast, including Kristin Scott-Thomas and Anne-Marie Duff as the two strong women who shaped the young Lennon, were wonderful.

It's Complicated is not a movie that will change your life, but my god, if you want a really good laugh for 90-odd minutes, this is the one to see. I thought it might be more of an old-boiler flick - as opposed to a chick flick - aimed at us menopausal old birds who are a bit cynical and yet still hoping for the happy ending. It was a bit of a surprise how many men were in the audience too. Moreover judging by the amount of hearty laughter in the cinema, they loved it too.

Meryl Streep is like a new woman these days. She's always been a great actress, but recently with films like Julie and Julia, Mama Mia, and now this one, she just has this joie de vivre which shines out of the screen. Alec Baldwin, who looks slightly "tight", is also great fun as her ex-husband.

The weirdest thing tho is Steve Martin's face! Now I am the last person who can comment on plastic surgery or botox, but whatever it is that he's done to himself, its very, very wrong, like some kind of death mask! Still a great movie tho!

It's taken me a while to get around to seeing Nine, but I made it today. What a bizarre experience it was! Its a musical that doesn't have one single memorable song, and no real story to speak of. Having said that tho, Daniel Day Lewis is really hot in it! As is Penelope Cruz of course. So if you're a bit hungover this is the movie to see cos it demands no brain at all and you can just look at the gorgeous images on the screen.

There ya go, JoJo's Film Reviews 2010. I heard there was a vacancy going somewhere for a movie critic....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home