Sunday, March 19, 2006

This weekend...

I have been mostly going backwards and forwards between Oxford and London, and hearing nothing but fantastic news.

On Thursday night the lovely Johnny Candon was on the bill and his entire face lit up as he showed me his wedding ring! So massive congrats to him and his fabulous wife Gigi. I've known him a while and he's a terrific guy, not to mention a great comedian, so it gives me a bit of a warm glow to see him so happy.

Friday and Saturday nights my old mucker Michael Smiley replaced Johnny at the top of the bill. If you've seen Smiley, you'll know that he's undergone a massive transformation over the last few years. When I first met him, he was bald as a coot with dodgy teeth (not quite Shane MacGowan, but you get the idea), a dead ringer for a young Albert Steptoe in fact. Now he's got long flowing locks (well just past his collar) and teeth that Tom Cruise would be proud of. One of the incentives for this big change is his partner, Miranda. I've known her for years, long before I ever began doing comedy, and she's a great gal, so when they got together a few years ago I was dead chuffed for both of them.

Since Smiley changed his appearance, he's picked up masses of acting work. Last year alone he did three movies and tons of telly. That's not all he got up to last year tho, cos on Friday night he showed me a photo of his greatest production, brand new baby Patrick! What a gorgeous little creature he is, only four and a half months old and the spitting image of his dad before he grew his hair back! Once again huge congratulations to Smiley and Miranda.

Gawd bless him, Smiley gave me a lift home both nights and we took the time to remenisce, one of my funniest memories is an Edinburgh Festival years ago, 1999 I think it was, when he was MC'ing a 'Best of So You Think You're Funny' gig. I was on the bill, and the room where the gig was being held obviously was being used for other productions during the day. Smiley went rooting through the various costumes and came onstage wearing and old lady's coat, hat and handbag. He MC'd the entire show and never once referred to it! It was the funniest thing, watching the audience wondering why Steptoe was in drag

Today has been spent getting myself organised for my trip to Thailand. I had planned to have next weekend off to chill before I went, but an offer of three gigs came in and being self employed I just can't turn work down, hence being organised today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home