Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Long and Winding Road

So back home from my weekend of gigs in Manchester.

I was doing gigs at The Frog & Bucket in Oldham Street and it was a bit of a trip down memory lane for me. In the early 90's I regularly went up to go clubbing at the Hacienda and we always used to begin the night at New Order's Dry Bar in the same street.

Afflecks Palace and Eastern Block Records were just around the corner and there were tons of men in unfeasably flared jeans wandering about wearing Inspiral Carpets' Cool As Fuck T-shirts or James' Come Home T-shirts. It wasn't the most attractive time for men's fashion!

I'm proud to say I never succumbed to the big flares, but did sport a fair few Joe Bloggs tees in my time.

There were none of those fashion faux pas in evidence this weekend, and Dry Bar is long gone, but I had a really great time. The gigs were fun, especially last night's when I encored, and I got a 'bargain' Paul Smith handbag in the Harvey Nicks sale.

On Saturday afternoon I met up with a whole bunch of comedians for lunch. Mike Gunn chose the venue - The Living Room on Deansgate - and we were joined by Kevin McCarthy, Andy Askins, Russell Howard and the gorgeous Rob Rouse.

The Living Room is one of those places you read about in Heat, where all the Manc celebs go to play, and even at lunchtime yesterday it was packed with ironed blondes sporting French Manicures with Dolce and Gabbana bug-eyed sunglasses stuck on the top of their heads. I was there in torn jeans, hair scraped up in what can only be described as an explosion on the top of my head, looking like a bugger. As I gazed around the room I noticed the Manchester WAGS were staring at me. Probably wondering why they were having bored lunches with their fellow footballers' wives while I had the attentions of five fabulous men all to myself!

The best bit was that Mike said he was driving back to London after the late show at the Store and I could have a lift if I wanted it. I jumped at the chance, the Frog had put me up in a bleeding Travelodge and I couldn't face trying to sleep another night in there.

I met Mike at his hotel - the infinately superior Victoria and Albert - and we set off about 1.30. It's been ages since I did a road trip from Manchester and I'd forgotten how bloody long a journey it is! It was 5.45am this morning when I rolled into my flat! Still it was worth it to sleep in my own wonderful bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home