Thursday, October 05, 2006

But Is It Art?

So this afternoon I made my annual visit to see the Turner Prize nominees. I've been every year for the last three years and picked two out of the three winners. I'm like the Mystic Meg of the art world me!

I have to say I wasn't that hopeful about this year's bunch, what I'd read and seen so far didn't fill me with desire and wonder.

This year's nominees are Tomma Abts, Rebecca Warren, Phil Collins and Mark Titchner and their work covers abstract paintings, sculpture, video and multimedia installation. I have no idea about what is considered "good" art, for me it's like music, it either stimulates me in some way or it doesn't.

I really liked Rebecca Warren's sculptures. In a way, they reminded me of those statues/carvings of the 'noble savages' you see for sale in various furniture/gift shops.

Tomma Abts' paintings were brilliantly executed but with the exception of one, didn't move me in any way. A lot of them looked like the 'wall art' you find in show homes or hotel rooms.

Phil Collins has come a long way from 'In The Air Tonight'* and his video piece featuring an at times hilarious intervew with a Turkish woman who met and married a man on TV within a week, was gripping to watch. Not sure it was art tho (whatever that is). It was more like a classy episode of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

My pick of the bunch is Mark Titchner's work. There was a fabulous painting, some weird optical illusion thing that almost had me going boss-eyed looking at it, and some kinda weird electrical installation thing that was supposed to be worked by the power of the mind. Maybe my mind was a bit dull but I couldn't get it to operate.

We'll have to wait till December to see who wins, so perhaps a small flutter might be in order.


* I know, I know, it's not THAT Phil Collins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home