Friday, February 23, 2007

Back To Work

Soooooo after two whole weekends off I went back to work last night.

I willingly admit I was more than a little nervous, during the day I tried to remember my set, tried to imagine what it was like to actually stand on a stage and have the audacity to expect people to find my ramblings amusing...it scared the hell out of me!

For the first time since my op two weeks ago, I felt pain in my (newly miniature) stomach. I knew is was butterflies and not something more serious. Obviously there were too many butterflies for such a tiny tummy!

My energy levels have been really low too, due to the fact I am living for a day on what I would've normally eaten in one meal, so I was also scared I would just be too lethargic. Added to that, the dramatic weight loss of the first 14 days seems to have affected my balance in some ways, oh my god what if I fell offstage?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It felt odd to be putting on my 'gig' clothes - new ones cos the stuff I was wearing 3 weeks ago in Cardiff were too big now, it felt even stranger to be slapping on the make-up! I have to say I was incredibly pleased with the results tho. My face seems to be half the size it was a month ago.

I walked into the venue in Chelmsford and it was tho I was having an out of body experience. I looked at the stage and the thought of being on there in 45 minutes' time seemed both extraordinary and perfectly natural at the same time.

I chatted with the lovely Ian whose company The Comedy Club, run this and many other gigs, haven't seen him for a while so it was good to catch up. Mark Walker and new (to me) Canadian comic Vince Fluke turned up within minutes of each other, so it was a mix of introductions and Mark and I winding each other up.

He was wearing a very shiny purple Ozwald Boateng suit, I asked if he got it on eBay and he totally bit...I do love teasing him!

Ian told me it was time to go and I was excited and numb at the same time, next thing I knew I was onstage and blethering away, getting to know the audience and having a laugh with certain members. I surprised myself at how quick I was, the witty repartee was flying outta my mouth! I was having fun and people were laughing! Phew. A massive relief I can tell you!

Mark and Vince did the business, and after the break we did the joke competition. I have to say I am not a fan at all of these things, but my new found honesty made it great fun for all of us. Then it was time to bring on my favourite comic in the world, the excellent Paul Tonkinson.

He's doing six shows a week now on XFM in London which means we get to see him gig a bit more, having spent the last year doing their Manchester breakfast show. Live is where Tonks really shines (in my opinion) and he just blew the room away. Sadly, the public transport system meant I had to leave before the end of his set to get my train back to London, but what I saw was fabulous!

So there you have it, doubts laid to rest, a great night of comedy, and I am back in business!

Off to Oxford Jongleurs tonight and tomorrow....I can't wait!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home