Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Batty Man

Not sure how many of you managed to catch this documentary. It went out at 10.30 this morning on C4.

It was written and presented by Stephen K Amos and looked at homophobia within the black community, and was one of the most heart-wrenching things I have ever seen.

As you will know, Steve is a friend of mine - a great friend - but even if I didn't know him I would still have been moved to tears by the ignorance and hatred he uncovered.

I will never understand how any human being can blindly hate another human being for the colour of his skin, where he puts his penis, or which god he chooses to believe in. It just makes no sense at all to me...so much wasted energy.

I don't think this is exclusively a black thing either, I'm pretty sure there are tons of white guys out there who thing that a gay man is not a "real" man whatever that is!

It seems to me that if people concentrated on their own lives and building and sustaining their own moral codes, and stopped obsessing about those who are different from them, the world might be a much better place.

If you didn't see the programme this morning, keep an eye out in the C4 schedules, it is due for a late night repeat in the next couple of months. Better still, write to C4 and tell them to show it again!

Well done Stephen, I am sooooooo proud of you for standing up and being counted!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home