Monday, July 23, 2007

Water, Water, Everywhere!!!!!!!

Soooooo what a weekend!

What is it they say about the best laid plans going awry? I had all kindsa fabby things lined up for the weekend, lunches with other comics, meetings with old mates in the Brum area, free lifts between my home and the gig, etc, etc. Guess what? None of it happened!

A bit of water falls from the sky, and the whole world comes to a standstill. How mad is that?

What did happen tho, is that I had three amazing gigs, and did some of the new material I've been working on recently, and best of all it got laughs!

The bill was not as advertised on any of the nights, on Thursday we had Gary Delaney, Tom Wrigglesworth and Craig Campbell. All three of them had corkers, and all three are top blokes in the dressing room too...always a bonus.

Friday looked and felt like the end of the world. The rain bucketing down, cold, dark skies, it was a day for staying indoors. Sadly the hotel was being renovated and the relentless thud of the jackhammers meant that really wasn't an option. I braved the elements and spent a couple of hours plundering the rails in TK Maxx...all I came out with was a bra and a top though. It's like a mad jumble sale in there!

Friday night's bill was supposed to be Howard Read, Jason Wood and Craig again. I got to the club to find Jason sitting there looking really rough. He'd spent six hours driving up through the rain and was full of flu or something. I've never seen him so subdued. A replacement was found for him in the shape of Mick Ferry, so Jason got back in his van and drove right back to London...poor sod.

Again it was another cracking night for all of us, and while I was sad to see Jason go, it was cool to spend time with Mick who I didn't know that well before. It's amazing how you bond over quick fags outside!

Saturday was dry-ish so I hit the shops with a bit more vengence than Friday. Didn't spend that much but got a fantastic shocking pink cashmere jumper in Primark for £25!

Another blinding gig Saturday night with the same bill as Friday.

Then there was only the dilemma of how to get home. The trains weren't guaranteeing any kind of service, so I booked myself a seat on the National Express 3am service to London. Once I got back to the hotel, I thought about the safety aspect of hanging round Digbeth Coach Station at that time of the morning. I've done it before, but I was way bigger and more formidable looking then. I decided that, no matter how keen I was to get home, it wasn't worth risking being attacked, so I decided to take my chances with the train on Sunday.

As it turned out, it was a wise move. The sun was shining, the journey - by train, bus and train again - was only three hours in total, and it was all pleasant enough.

So, not quite the weekend I had planned but a good 'un nonetheless.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home