Friday, July 06, 2007

Yesterday and Today

So it turns out I am a bit psychic! I wrote that post yesterday morning about clothing manufacturers making clothes bigger than the size says, so that women will buy them, then after I'd posted it I heard on the news that Europe is trying to make them do the same as they do for men's clothing, ie have the sizes in inches. How forward thinking am I?

Having said that, I am girly enough to enjoy that thrill of getting into a lower size than I really am, and its all very new to me so I don't want it to change just yet!

Even Richard & Judy discussed it last night with some fashion bird and a certain blonde female TV and Radio 'personality' who was going on about how she was a size 14. Now years and years ago, she claimed to have lost an enormous amount of weight through diet and exercise alone, tho there were plenty of rumours of secret liposuction playing a part in it all. Anyway at that time she claimed to be a size 12.

I was asked to do a TV show with her, and while I was having my make-up done, the make-up artist asked me what I thought of her, I said I felt that - at that time - she was a very troubled woman. The make-up artist replied "I'll say she is! She makes the wardrobe people sew size 12 labels in all her size 16 frocks!'

I guess she has a collection of size 14 labels to sew into the new ones.

Anyway, apart from being a bitch, I also got meself a bit of culcha yesterday. I went to the Tate Modern to see the Dali and Film exhibition. To be really honest, I only went cos the weather was so shit and this was an indoor activity.

I love Dali's work, it reminds me of when I spent a summer doing acid back in the early 80's and saw cruise missiles flying over Milton Keynes bowl while David Bowie was onstage, but I've seen so much of his work recently that it wasn't like a burning desire to see this show.

Blimey! How wrong was I? Just when you think you've seen enough, he goes and blows your mind all over again! There were some very dark paintings from his early years, plus of course the two best known movies Un Chien andalou (that eyeball slicing scene is still one of the most gruesome images ever) and L'Age d'or, but they also had the dream sequence from Hitchcock's Spellbound which is awesome, and best of all Disney's Destino!

This project begun in 1946, was finally completed in 2003, and my god...it's breathtaking. Disney and Dali, just the perfect pairing, its sooooo beautiful!

I also went round one of the permanent collection rooms and spent ages drooling over Francis Bacon's Second Version of Triptych...it's one of the most emotional things I've ever seen.

Apart from all the great art in the Tate Modern, its also a very cool gallery. One of things I always loved about the place was the balcony where you can nip outside for a fag in between looking at the art. I fully expected that balcony to be non-smoking now that the ban has come in, but no, they've left us our sanctuary. You can get yer fix while gazing over the Thames and it just makes you love London even more.

Well done Tate!

So, onto today, I'm off to Bristol later for a couple of gigs at Jongleurs and its been a while since I played there, so I'm looking forward to it, especially if the line-up is the same as on the website. On top of that, they've changed the hotel we stay in and aparently its got both a swimming pool and smoking rooms, so I can do a few lengths and have a fag afterwards...yay!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home