Friday, September 14, 2007

Prince!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Just back from seeing the Purple one live for the first time in nearly 20 years, and I have to say he's as hot as ever!

It was at the O2 which most of us know better as the Millenium Dome, I know that now, I didn't when I booked the tickets months ago! I wasn't expecting a whole lot, basically it was gonna be a gig in a tent, miles from anywhere, probably with crappy sound and poor sightlines.

I couldn't have been more wrong, the Jubilee Line stop is right outside the venue, and while I guess it is still at tent, its amazing inside, bars and restaurants, lots of loos, perfect.

Me and Paul had a lovely thai meal before the show - how grown up dinner and a show! - then got our seats miles up, just as Prince was singing 1999. Even tho we were almost as far up in the sky as the planes coming in to land at nearby City Airport, the view was fabulous! We had a screen right in front of our seats so when we got tired of looking at him in person, we could check out the facial expressions on the big screen.

The gig is in the round and the stage is in the shape of his symbol, and it just looked fantastic. The lighting was perfect and the sound incredible! Way better than most 2000 seater places!

He did a fair few of his classics, including some I'd forgotten he even recorded, but sadly now that he's got religion, songs like Sexy Motherfucker and Gett Off were left out. Still, he did do Sign O the Times, If I Was Your Girlfriend, and one of my faves Alphabet Street. Halfway through he even got Elton John up who sang a really soulful version of The Long and Winding Road. I've never heard Elton John sing that well!

It seemed to be over in an instant, tho I reckon he did about an hour and 45 minutes, and we were then dreading the scrum to get home on the tube with over 16 gazillion other punters all heading the same way. Even that was pretty painless, I think it took maybe 10 minutes got get on a train and I even got a seat!

So there ya go, Prince is as fabulous as he ever was, the O2 is my new favourite mega-venue, and it was the perfect night out.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger uglifruit said...

I too just got back from this gig, I was on the back row (on the non-curly side of the squiggle).

What a great time I had. I'd have liked 'Gett Off' and 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World'. Otherwise, great - The 'Bennie and the Jets' and 'Your Song' bits made me laugh.

'Shhhh' was the highlight for me.

2:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home