Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fripperies

It seems like every time I pick up a paper, listen to the radio or turn on the TV there's just doom and gloom everywhere. Now I could write about the horrors in Gaza, or the plight of the jobless in our massive recession, or even the fact that what was one of my routines about opening up sweatshops in this country to supply Primark has become reality in Manchester, but I won't.

Instead I will make a huge admission. Dear readers, I have succumbed. For years I've resisted the lure of the Ugg boot. I resisted when the only people wearing em were Pammy Anderson (on the beach with her bikini!) and the WAGs, I resisted em when they exploded onto the high street. I walked behind girls who'd worn them so much that they were going over on one side of the heel, like the slummiest of slippers (which according to an Aussie mate of mine they actually are, explains why they're crap in the rain!). I'd try em on and think '£200 for a pair of slippers that make yer feet look huge, how mad!' Last year I did weaken and bought a pair of silver rip off ones from Shoe Express for £15 but even then wasn't won over.

So what did those clever Ugg people do? Firstly they made em weather-proof for the UK, then they brought out ones with toe and heel supports, then they made a pair that were just soooooooo cute and finally the British weather joined in the conspiracy and went sub-zero.

So last week I made a trip from my sick bed to Kurt Geiger and shelled out approximately a night's earnings for a fabulous pair of black suede 'Mayfaire' Uggs. My god! I see now why women won't give em up, and why even sane-ish blokes are starting to wear them! Mmmmmmm that sheepskin is soooooo warm on my frozen little tootsies! I'm hooked!

While I'm on a shallow tip, I have to admit that I am enjoying this year's Celebrity Big Brother too. They've got the mix just right this time I reckon. The weirdos aren't so weird that they become annoying, the dullest one was the first one out, all of the Americans are really cool, and the one I thought would be a pain in the ass is - step forward Tina. I do love a delusional freak!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home