Saturday, November 08, 2008

Onstage Again!!!!!!!!

Wow! I can't begin to express how much I'm enjoying my gigs at Birmingham Jongleurs this weekend!

After a month off I was more than a little nervous as the familiar strains of Robbie's Let Me Entertain You blasted out on Thursday night. I hadn't a clue what I'd talk about, and couldn't really remember what it is I did up there!

By the time my hand grabbed the mic I was away! The gags flowing thick and fast, the audience laughing up a storm, my cheekiness quotient upped by about a gazillion since the last time I did a gig almost five weeks ago.

Apart from my time onstage which was sheer bliss for me - and hopefully the crowd - there was the opportunity to watch the other comedians. Thursday's bill was Trevor Crook, Dougie Dunlop and Brian Higgins, three guys who never fail to crack me up. As I sat at the back of the room watching them, I realised just how lucky I am to have found this life.

Friday saw me hanging out with the divine Alastair from the Glee and 'Tricky' Dave Johns who from here on in shall be known as 'Pissy Dave'. We had lunch at the noodle bar in the basement at the marvellous Selfridges here in Brum (the building never fails to inspire me), with me plumping for a Thai Green Curry that was delicious - they also had Nasi Gorgeng on the menu, but I've had enough of that over the last four weeks!

Then the three of us did a circuit of the shop itself and I somehow found myself purchasing a fur coat from the Joseph concession! The PETA people out there can put the paint cans down, this is basically a lambskin coat - reversable - and was made by the skins left over from lamb chops. I never eat them, so I figure I can wear the coat with impunity. Its not like they killed those lambs for me!

The best laugh came as I realised I'd left my "big" credit card back in London - on purpose! - and so we tried to barter the salesgirl down with a Tesco Reward Card and two first class stamps! Eventually I did manage to sort out the funds and left with a huge carrier bag and an even huger smile on my face!

There was another cracking show last night at the club. With a totally different bill. We had Josh Howie, Daliso Chaponda and Colin Cole. It was fantastic to see all of them both in the dressing room and onstage, and I enjoyed regaling them with my surgery horror stories. I even ended up doing stuff onstage about it! Gawd I love this game!!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Do you have a catchphrase?

3:31 pm  
Blogger AmandaV said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:35 pm  
Blogger AmandaV said...

JoJo, I have just tried to catch up on everything that you have been up to. I have been a crap friend, but I wanted to say how very proud I am of you and everything you have achieved. Lots of Love Amanda (MsA of old ;o) )

7:37 pm  
Blogger JoJo Smith said...

Hey Amanda how's life? Get in touch via jojosmith.com, I'd love to catch up sometime.

9:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home