Sunday, January 17, 2010

A First For Me

So this weekend I was gigging at one of my favourite clubs in the country, The Last Laugh in Sheffield.
I always have fun there and thanks to Toby Foster and Jules who run it, I'm always well looked after.

This weekend that turned out to be more important than usual as I found myself away from home and sick as a dog!

On Tuesday night I went to the Comedian's Christmas Do(n't) at The Bedroom Bar. A yearly event organised by the fabulous Susan Murray and the equally fabulous Michael Legge, in which all the comics who can be arsed gather together for a catch-up. I'd never been before, so I made a special effort to go this time. I'm so glad I did. It was great to see tons of people I haven't seen in aaaaaaaages!

Sadly tho, I suspect I picked up a little germ there too, cos by Wednesday morning I was feeling more than a bit grotty. Nothing specific, but a bit of a cough, a bit of a tickly throat and just not "right". It was a snowy, horrid day on Wednesday anyway so I stayed indoors and just took it easy.

By Thursday, as I was Sheffield-bound, I felt more than a bit iffy. Sneezing, coughing, sweating, the whole nine yards. Luckily for me I was on first every night so could do my set, then come back to the lovely new hotel they've found for us.

Thursday night I did just that, but Friday morning I felt worse. I slipped on my clothes and trekked through the rain to Boots. The nice lady sold me some Day and Night Nurse capsules and I went back to bed till showtime.

What I didn't know is that all those pills kinda foggy up your mind, and Friday night I kinda dug myself into a comedy hole I couldn't really get out of. I was seriously relieved when I saw my time light! I didn't die but I sure as hell didn't storm it. I heard later on that nobody stormed it tho, so perhaps it wasn't all me.

Saturday I just stayed in bed all day, trying to sleep/sweat it out, but I went to the gig still feeling like crap. I did however, go on determined to rock the joint no matter how sick I felt. And I did!

If I hadn't been out of town, I would've cancelled my Friday and Saturday night gigs, I really felt that ill. What this weekend has taught me is that I can do it. Even when I'm not 100%.

That's a cool lesson to learn.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home