Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hotel From Hell

So I am writing this on the train back to London. I've spent the weekend in Edinburgh working at the new Highlight Famous For Comedy Club. Phew! What a mouthful! The bill was great - me as MC, Kevin Hayes aka "the Man of a Thousand Voices", Gavin Webster who has a new bit that is just awesome but one that he'll never be able to do on telly sadly, and Brian Higgins who is on cracking form at the moment. The gigs were fantastic, each in their own distinct way, and Edinburgh is still one of the most gorgeous cities in the world, even if the weather was rubbish!

The only blackspot on the whole weekend was the hotel. We were booked into the Thistle St James and they had supposedly done a deal with the club to give us a discount rate. Well, that "discount" was £99 a night so as you can imagine I was expecting something pretty exceptional for my money. After all, it was a wet weekend in January and the hotel was nowhere near full capacity.

This was the second room they gave me, the first believe it or not wasnt as good as this!





These were all the lovely yummy goodies they provided



This was the luxurious shower




Now I know you might find it hard to believe, but I am seriously not a diva. However, I posted those photos on Twitter and soon had some of my followers offering to form an escape committee to come and spring me. One follower actually did a websearch and found me a different hotel! All of them were horrified that any hotel could charge that amount of money for such a dreadful room.

Anyway, I stuck it out and am finally homebound on this train

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr Farty said...

Um, yeah, sorry about the hotel. The name rang a bell when you mentioned it on Twitter, but it was only when you added "St James" that the penny dropped. It used to be the St James Hotel, but they changed the name to avoid their reputation, like Windscale / Sellafield.

I was hoping your own spot would be longer, but all the acts were bloody brilliant, thanks. Future son-in-law Drummer Boy now wants to have his stag do there.

Glad you got home in one piece. x

10:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home