Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Vietnam... Things I Love

Exercise - People of all ages exercising in every tiny bit of green space everywhere. Wherever I went there were joggers, Tai Chi-ers, yoga-ers, as well as muscle-heads working out on the provided workout benches. How amazing it would be if this could be the case in the west.

The Traffic - Also in the ‘things I hate’ section. As terrifying as it is, the exhilaration you feel when you cross a busy road and don’t die is incredible! Also, as someone who failed their driving test for being ‘too cautious’ it confirms that I was right not to retake!

The Pho Bo - This beef noodle soup is Vietnamese penicillin just as chicken noodle is Jewish. The first bowl I was apprehensive, not being a massive beef eater, but by the end of week one I was having a bowl a day. Delicious, healthy, cheap and just good for whatever ails you, even if nothing ails you!

The People - What I’m learning firsthand as I travel is that people everywhere are complicated, yet at the same time simple creatures. Treat everyone with respect, try and use humour to get whatever you need and accept that when you’re in a different country, you’re a guest in their home. Their way might not be your way, but you know what, get over it!

Affordability - Possibly the cheapest country in SE Asia. Hotels, food, everything is really reasonable. Maybe it was the places I went, but there didn’t appear to be too many attempts to rip off the tourists.

The Beaches - Specifically the one at Nha Trang. Glorious white sand, clean, not too many hawkers - get there now before it all goes 'Goa'.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home