Monday, July 17, 2006

Poker School


So it was off to my ancestral home for a few days last week, the sun was even shining in Preston! I took time to have a wander round the town centre and relive some old memories...It's a million lifetimes ago it seems.

From there it was off to Manchester yet again for a couple of gigs at Jongleurs. Its been well over a year since I last did this gig and I actually was looking forward to it. It's one of the worst designed clubs in the Jongleurs' empire, a massive high ceiling, an even higher stage, and not great sound, but I love playing to a Northern crowd. I've been described as blunt from time to time and, well this is where I learned to be blunt! It's the Northern Way innit? So I go onstage with no fear of offending anyone, cos they 'get it'.

I was on with a fab bunch of guys too, Jeff Innocent - who I just love -Mickey D, and the little ray of sunshine that is Andy Askins. If you haven't seen him yet, do yourself a favour and check him out, he's just a joy to watch. He's also a joy to hang out with in the dressing room which is a definite bonus.

Saturday I had a fabulous day. I met Mike Gunn, Otiz Canneloni and Mark Billingham for lunch. They were all in town doing the Comedy Lounge - a new gig that's opened in the Printworks - and we were all staying in the same hotel. We toddled off to the Living Room. As we sat there swapping gig stories Mark said 'We're all starring in Broadway Danny Rose' and it was true. The old guard reminiscing about gigs we have known.

We left there to go shoe shopping. Now this should've filled me with glee, but it wasn't me that wanted the shoes, it was Mark and Mike, and my god I learned that men are a million times more fussy than any women I know! Two hours later I was the only one with a pair of bloody shoes and I didn't want or need any! Still I do love my new lime green Crocs!

Saturday night's gig was rammed and fantastic, we all had a wonderful time. When I got back to the hotel I was given the chance to learn how to play poker which was even more exciting. I am not a good gambler, I don't do the lottery, and the best Grand National I ever had was the one where we all got our money back. I was outside the bookies at 9.0 am waiting for my quid!

There's something very sexy about poker tho, I've found myself watching the televised games, and while I haven't really learned anything I get kinda hypnotised by the commentators' voice. I want to learn how to play tho, so Otiz, Mike and Mark allowed me to sit in and watch their game.

It was very confusing, all the terminology and the speed at which they were playing, but the banter was great and I think I picked up a bit of what was going on. Of course, the boys were trying to get me to join in, telling me that playing it was the best way to learn. I just told em that if they could handle seeing a grown woman cry, then I'd be happy to join in. They stopped asking me then.

Anyway, I'm back home now and cooling off a bit, it's good to be back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home