Monday, August 14, 2006

Conquering Demons


Back from my weekend at the seaside, and what a weekend it was!

Friday night Bournemouth was no trouble, the club was far from full, in fact there were only about 40 people in there. It was a pity, cos the line-up was cracking if I do say so myself.

I was MC, opening the show was the fabulous Roger Monkhouse, who just gets more and more enjoyable to watch. then it was my mates Harvey Oliver and Colin Cole, who both righteously kicked ass too.

I love bringing Colin on cos he's about 6'9" tall and the reaction is always funny. If there's been any lairyness in the audience it soon stops when the man-mountain Cole is on!

On Saturday I caught the train over to Brighton, filled with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.

Excitement cos I absolutely adore the place and trepidation cos I've yet to have a good gig at the Komedia!

The weather was totally mad, freezing cold one minute, sunny, hot and raining the next, typical. Why couldn't we have the heatwave now? It didn't really matter cos Brighton is fab whatever the weather.

Checked into the hotel, and had a little wander round the city, then prepared myself mentally and physically for the two shows I had that night. As I walked through to the dressing room I cased the crowd, looking for the lentil eaters who have made my past times here less than pleasurable. Couldn't see any obvious ones, but perhaps they were in disguise.

In the dressing room Harvey thrust a copy of the Independent under my nose, and there it was, a big up for me by James Rampton. Apparently I'm a 'rollicking good stand-up'. That'll do for me. Thanks James.

That boosted my confidence a wee bit and I went out to watch the start of the show. I was on in the middle - the girls' spot - known in the business as a c**t sandwich, so I had time to either chill out or freak out.

Rufus Hound was MC'ing. I'd never seen him before, or even met him. What a revelation! He's soooooooo talented and funny and quick! This boy is bound for greatness believe me.

He set up a really good atmosphere in the room and Harvey took that and ran with it to the next level.

After the break it was my turn, and I wasn't shaking exactly, but I did have the flutters. I heard my name and walked out. Twenty minutes later, I was thanking them for enjoying me. Relief is not the word for it! I had a cracker, the best I've ever had here by a mile.

There was no time to relax tho, cos I knew I had to go out and do it all again in 90 minutes' time.

The Komedia staff are fab and really look after you, and in between the shows they fed us the most delicious chilli. It was like a scene from Oliver as Colin, Harvey and myself sat in a line scooping up the delicious food.

We heard the late show crowd coming and boy did they sound feisty! I guess this should've freaked me out but it had the opposite effect, rowdy I can deal with.

I went out to perform my second set of the night, and I had one of my best gigs ever, not just at the Komedia, ever anywhere in the world! I was flying boy!

I cannot tell you how amazing it feels to go to a place where you've struggled and not only make amends but totally bust the place wide open. Its better than any drug, any sex, any handbag, anything!

But of course, I still couldn't relax, cos I had to do it all again Sunday night. Talk about no peace for the wicked! I had a wonderful day, long hot bath, stroll rounds the Lanes, chilling with the Sunday papers, good food....it was like being on holiday.

I decided to catch the train home after the gig, so packed and checked out, and made my way back to the Komedia. Could I make it three out of three? Dare I dream such dreams?

The answer is a resounding YES. I stormed it again. Wow.

Apart from the professional kudos, the most wonderful thing is that now I won't have to wait for another three years for the memory to fade, I can do more gigs in Brighton, more often. How brilliant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home