Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I'm Spinning Around

Sadly I haven't turned into Kylie, but for the last week I've been getting these really dreadful dizzy spells. Added to that is feeling sick, blurred vision and loss of balance.

Last week I thought I had heat stroke. I checked out the NHS Direct website and seemed to have the symptoms even tho I hadn't spent any length of time in the sun. Over the weekend I was a bit aprehensive onstage, and found myself standing well back from the edge just in case. I didn't wanna fall off and take the whole front row out with me!

Anyway, yesterday I actually spoke to a nurse from NHS Direct who informed me it definitely wasn't heat stroke. She said it could be low blood pressure, or 'something'. Now being a drama queen I took that something to be a brain tumour.

I rang my GP's and was told I could come and see someone next week. Lovely. I explained my symptoms and eventually she relented and said I could call at 8.30 and see if there was an emergency appointment available.

I was due to go to a pre-Edinburgh barbecue at the lovely Jason Woods' house, but the worry, dizziness, and heat put any plans to attend straight out of my mind, and I took to my bed.

Luckily this morning, there was a space available, cos by now my over-active imagination was working overtime!

Anyway after an examination that took ooooooooooh at least 90 seconds it turns out I have labyrinthitis. No, I haven't turned into a Jim Henson creature and begun starring in a movie with David Bowie, it's an infection in the inner ear which produces a sensation similar to sea sickness. Yep that sounded about right. I've got a little bottle of sea sickness pills and instructions to return if its still happening in two weeks' time.

Of course, as soon as I got home I Googled it, and in spite of the doc's reassurance, I'm worried all over again, cos it can also be caused by a 'cranial tumour'!

Whoever said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing was bloody right...damn you Google!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home