Friday, August 11, 2006

This week...

Blimey not written anything for four whole days! I must have got myself a bit of a life.

It's been an art-filled week. On Tuesday I went to the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park. Every year they get an architect to design a Pavillion which then houses the cafe and is the venue for various events and talks. This year it was designed by Rem Koolhaus, and it looks like a giant hot air balloon has landing in the middle of the park. Either that or a massive egg sitting on top of an egg cup.

There wasn't anything going on in there apart from some pretty looking Raymond Blanc cakes in the cafe. I was overwhelmed with the choice so ended up just getting a coffee.

In the Gallery itself they had an exhibition of photographs by Thomas Demand. At first sight they just look like really well constructed photos, but then as you get up close you see that everything in the photo is fake. They're all models made out of cardboard. You gotta admire his dedication. They have a great art bookshop there too, and even sell a few limited edition artworks. I saw a fantastic salt and pepper pot set, but instead of salt and pepper written on them they had Cocaine and Heroin. I was almost tempted to buy them!

Wednesday I finally made it down to the Tate Modern to see the Kandinsky show. I met my pal Paul, which was fab as I haven't seen him for a while. The Tate was packed - I forget sometimes that we have to share London with tourists - and it was hard to really enjoy the exhibition. There was lots of his early stuff, which apart from the use of colour, you'd never guess was by the same artist.

Its a great illustration of the journey we all take in life. Start off as one thing and over the years become something totally different. I totally get his journey, as a creative person it takes a while to 'find your voice', I'm just finding mine now!

A little tip for anyone who is remotely interested in art, become a member of the Tate! It gets you in free to all shows at all four Tates, and there's a fantastic members bar at the Modern, with terraces overlooking the river.

Both of those days reminded me of just how much I love London. When the sun is shining, the Thames is just a glorious place, and if you get the chance to stroll along, you feel like you're on holiday somewhere fabulous.

The smoking thing is going brilliantly, in seven days I've gone from 40 a day to 22! I don't feel deprived, I haven't felt agitated or any kind of withdrawal symptons. I'm so chuffed, here's hoping I'm on my way to being a non-smoker!

I have a fab weekend ahead of me this weekend. I'm off to Bournemouth later, then tomorrow and Sunday I'm doing the Komedia in Brighton. Its been over three years since I've done the gig, and being really honest, its one gig I've never really stormed, but because I love Brighton so much I do it anyway to get a free weekend at the seaside!. I'm on with Harvey Oliver and Colin Cole, both of whom I love, so it's gonna be great.

The weather report is not great, but that's probably a blessing for the good folk of Brighton as it means I won't be stripping off and frying my ass on the Nudist beach. I will however be devouring all the fantastic shops in the Laines....can't wait.

Enjoy yourselves x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home