Monday, July 24, 2006

Sexy Beast

So now I get Film 4 free on my telly, and Sexy Beast is on. I'm not sure what it is about this movie but it both entertains and repulses me. Ray Winstone and Ben Kingsley are brilliant in it.

Lost in Translation was on earlier and I remember thinking when I saw that at the pictures how it perfectly summed up the sense of isolation I felt when I visited Tokyo too... the most foreign city I've ever been to.

The gigs in Southampton were fantastic and inspite of all my misgivings about going, I'm glad I did. Not only did the window open a whole 4" which meant I didn't need to use the screwdriver, but they've fixed the aircon so that it genuinely is cold in the rooms! I was actually shivering at one point!

Sadly the aircon at that gig was less than perfect, in fact I doubt it was even working. Jeez it was hot under those lights. On Friday night by the time I brought the wonderful Otiz Canneloni on I was drenched in sweat! How very glamourous.

Most of the audience were fanning themselves with the menus too, which at times was a little off-putting, but everyone had a great show. In addition to Otiz, we had Sean Collins and Sean Meo on, both of whom are right at the top of their game at the moment.

On Saturday night Mark Maier replaced Sean Collins, and he was absolutely fantastic! It's been years since I worked with Mark, and yet again, he's right up there as one to watch.

That's one of the great things about comedy, the longer you do it, the better you get at it. Well for most of us. It's so sad that the telly people are only ever interested in the bright young things, it seems the industry just always wants to jump on the next flavour of the month. There are so many talented, creative and entertaining comedians out there, who, just because they've been going longer than six months are considered old news.

Hopefully one day, probably long after I retire, TV execs will wake up and realise that experience is what counts in comedy, and give the likes of Mark and Sean Meo the breaks they deserve.

Rant over. The best bit about doing Southampton, after the gigs, was that I managed to catch the last train back to London last night and therefore wake up in my own bed this morning. Marvellous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home