Thursday, October 12, 2006

John Peel Day

It's the anniversary of John Peel's death today and the radio is blaring out Teenage Kicks as I write this.

There's a new compilation album out called Right Speed, Wrong Time which features some of the tunes he used to play on his show. I was in Virgin on Monday afternoon and it was playing. I only had to hear In A Rut by the Ruts to make me hand over my £15 there and then.

I rarely buy cd's these days but some of the money from this one goes to some of John's favourite charities so fair play, and this truly is money well spent.

I can't say I love every single track on there, but then I didn't love every track he played when I used to be listening in my bedroom in Preston desperate to hear the new punk rock music back in the late 70's.

The Ruts' track has a special meaning for me, cos after I heard John play it, I rushed to the Hope and Anchor in Islington to see them play and who should be there checking em out but Mr Peel himself. It wasn't the first time I'd met him, but I was dead chuffed that he remembered me. It was also the start of my friendship with the band, who I remember tipping for the top in a feature I wrote for PopStar Weekly.


The first time I ever met John Peel was on my last night in Preston. I was leaving to start my life in London but the night before he was appearing at Preston Poly and I decided to make that my leaving do. He was such a great guy and I asked him if I could come and watch him work when I got to London. He said yes and gave me a phone number.

I'd been here about a month when I plucked up the courage to call the number. I left a message for him and he called me back to say I could come and sit in on one of his shows. I was so thrilled.

The night I went in is all a bit of a blur, but I can still recall the sheer thrill of watching him present his show, I remember how kind he was, and most of all I remember how his enthusiasm for all new music was sooooooo infectious.

As the years went by I stopped listening to him on the radio, my love of new music dimishing as time passed, but I'll never forget how special he made me feel that night sitting in his studio at Broadcasting House.

Rest in Peace John xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home