Saturday, January 06, 2007

2007 Begins

With a flying visit up North to see my Dad and coming down with flu! Yipee!

Meditating like crazy to stave it off while I do my gigs, nowt worse than a snotty comedian!

So far it seems to be working, I did my first gig of the year at one of my favourite clubs last night, Up The Creek in Greenwich. It was a lovely, chilled affair after all the madness of Xmas and NYE. I was dosed up with Max Strength Cold and Flu pills and the line up was great - Alastair Barrie, Craig Campbell and a new act (to me) Lee Nelson.

It was the kind of night where you could try out new stuff, explore ideas and just hang with the crowd. I didn't do any material at all but got lotsa laughs and was generally nosey with various members of the audience. Alastair started the show off in fine style, and Lee Nelson's chavvy character was hilarious, Craig did a really wonderful chilled set that had the audience just tuned right into his mindset.

In the pub next door assorted comedians and reprobates were toasting the late, great Malcolm Hardee's birthday, but I felt too ropey to go along. It did get me reminiscing about past birthday parties Malcolm had.

I remember feeling incredibly honoured to be invited to his annual bash. Every comic who was invited turned up, and they were always wild, raucous affairs, usually with Jools Holland giving us a tune on the old joanna. It was rare that you left before dawn and even rarer if the hangovers didn't last a week!

I think his 50th was the last one I went to, and what a night that was. Malcolm was sooooo wasted he collapsed in the gent's toilets halfway through the show and Terry Alderton had to go and MC doing his impression of Mr Hardee. If you weren't in the room you'd have thought it was Malcolm up there!

In the meantime Aussie comic Matt Hardy was cleaning the old fucker up and getting him back to consciousness. If I recall correctly Malc was up and about carrying on the party 30 minutes later. Legend!

When I gave up the booze, I stopped going, but boy were they fun. Happy birthday Malcolm.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home